Skip to main content


16:05 29th December 2009

Brewers Bank Points at Lincoln

The Brewers answered the call of manager Paul Peschisolido to show more desire and resilience as they ran out 2-0 winners over Lincoln City on a fine afternoon at Sincil Bank. Goals from Ryan Austin and Russell Penn sent the 405 travelling Albion supporters home happy and secured the Brewers first away win in the League.

After the disappointment of Tuesday's defeat at home to Torquay, Albion produced a first half display that Lincoln had no answer to. The Albion boss chose to give Tony James and Michael Simpson their first league starts of the season with Ryan Austin moving to right back to accommodate James, Andy Corbett pushing forward to the right side of midfield. Jacques Maghoma and Russell Penn were the men to make way.

After a nervy second half when Lincoln fought hard for an equaliser it was Penn who sent the visiting fans delirious with a superb 25 yard lob in stoppage time after Ryan Austin had emphatically headed Albion into the lead half way through the first period.

Albion started the game brightly, and looked to build early pressure on the Lincoln defence. There could have been danger after just four minutes. Jimmy Phillips won a free kick 30 yards out in a central position, and with Lincoln electing to place only a two-man wall, Ryan Austin crashed an effort goalwards, but over the bar.

The game soon settled down with neither side creating an opening in the early stages. Shaun Harrad capped a well worked Burton passing move on 15 minutes, his 20 yard volley flew just wide of the goal.

Andy Corbett, playing on the right side of midfield, had another chance for Burton after 20 minutes. He brought down John McGraths cross from the left and cut inside his defender, but his shot was blocked for a corner.

The Brewers took the lead on 23 minutes, McGraths corner was met on the angle of the six yard box by Ryan Austin, who powered his header past Rob Burch in the Lincoln goal.

The Brewers looked to have the hosts rattled and Greg Pearson then forced a fine save from Burch on 27 minutes. The striker, playing against his former club, broke away down the right and fired his shot across the keeper, who produced a diving finger-tip save to turn it round the post.

Lincoln finally managed to build some sustained pressure on the Burton goal after 35 minutes. A series of corners caused the Brewers defence problems, as had been the case in the previous match against Torquay. Goalkeeper Artur Krysiak was hurt in a collision with his own defence and required treatment, but Burton finally managed to clear the ball to safety.

Burtons new look right side of Austin at right back and Corbett in midfield nearly created an opening just before half time. Austin battled against the Lincoln full back and found Corbett completely unmarked in the penalty area, but he could only guide his acute angled shot straight into the keepers arms.

Neither side made a change at half time and it was Lincoln who came out the brightest. They were awarded a free kick on the right side of the area when Jimmy Phillips was adjudged to have handled, Krysiak was forced to turn the crossed-ball behind for a corner, under pressure from Rene Howe.

Pearson had a great chance to put the Brewers two up after 59 minutes. Phillips and Harrad combined in a lightning break away from a Lincoln corner, Harrad fed Pearson with a perfectly weighted through ball but he sent his shot over the bar.

Lincoln then responded with a couple of chances of their own. Chris Fagan found space down the right but could only guide his shot straight at Krysiak. The Polish keeper then used all of his 6ft 4 frame to gather a looping goal bound header from Rene Howe.

Brewers manager Paul Peschisolido brought on Russell Penn to replace Jimmy Phillips on 67 minutes, as the home side mounted more pressure on Albions back line.

Tony James almost scored his first ever goal for Burton in the 70th minutes. He responded first when Guy Branstons header was blocked after a corner from the right by McGrath. But the central defender, making his first appearance of the season, shot over the bar.

The Brewers were having to withstand increasing pressure in the second half. Branston, Corbett and James all made crucial interceptions to deny Lincoln an equaliser as the hosts pushed men further forward.

Peschisolido took off Pearson for Jacques Maghoma on 80 minutes, the Brewers changing to a five man midfield for the final ten minutes.

And in the 93rd Russell Penn made the points safe for the Brewers. The second half substitute took control of the ball 25 yards out on the left and sent a spectacular volley over the stranded Rob Burch.

Albion man of the match: John McGrath - reunited with Michael Simpson in the middle the pair bossed the midfield with Macca catching the eye prompting some good Albion attacks.

    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005