Skip to main content


12:54 29th December 2009

Daggers Cut Down 10 Man Brewers

Burton Albion suffered their first defeat in five matches at the hands of high-flying Dagenham & Redbridge. The only goal of the game came after four minutes when Paul Benson reacted fastest in the Brewers area to poke home. And Albion finished the match with ten men after Guy Branston was dismissed after bringing down Benson when he was through on goal.

Peschisolido was left visibly frustrated on the touch line as another soft goal and a missed Shaun Harrad penatly saw the Brewers go in at the break 1-0 down. Paul Benson added to his tally of seven league goals in the fourth minute when he was quickest to react to a deflected cross into the Brewers' area.

Dagenham & Redbridge came to the Pirelli Stadium in good early season form which has seen them rise to second in the league. It was also an occasion to celebrate for the Daggers as it was their 100th League match.

Peschisolido made two changes to the starting eleven from the previous match at Bradford. Richard Walker and Robin Shroot, who both impressed as second half substitutes last week, came in for Jacques Maghoma and Greg Pearson.

Dagenham took an early lead after just four minutes. The Brewers defence failed to take control of a low cross from the left, and League Two's top scorer Paul Benson stole in to divert the ball past Krysiak.

After a slow start, Burton mounted their first attack after nine minutes. Ryan Austin sent a cross over from the right which Shaun Harrad controlled and set up McGrath, but his shot was scuffed wide.

A minute later Harrad looked to go clear on goal but the Daggers defence forced the striker wide. He was still able to pick out Richard Walker on the far post but his header back across goal was cleared behind for a corner.

The Brewers really should have been level after 19 minutes. Robin Shroot showed his skill to take the ball to the by-line, his cross across the face of goal should have been put into the net by Andy Corbett but somehow his touch sent it wide of the far post.

The Brewers were awarded an indirect free kick on the corner of the 6 yard box after 26 minutes after Daggers keeper Tony Roberts handled what the referee adjudged to be a back pass. But the Brewers failed to capitalise when Austin's powerful effort rebounded away off the Dagenham & Redbridge defenders.

And Dagenham then had a great chance to double their lead two minutes later. Paul Benson cut in from the left and looked to have a clear sight of goal, but he sent his shot over the bar.

The Brewers looked to gain more of a foothold in the match as the half hour mark approached. Richard Walker picked out Shroot with a superb cross field ball, and the Birmingham City loanee took on his man and fired in a low shot which was smothered at the second attempt by Tony Roberts.

The Daggers began to show their class on 33 minutes with an exercise in 'keep ball' on the edge of the Brewers' area. The pressure resulted in a succession of corners but Albion's defence held firm to deny the visitors a second.

And Burton were awarded a penatly in the 3rd minute of first half stoppage time. Will Antwi pulled down Shaun Harrad in the area and there were little complaints from the Daggers men. Harrad took the spot kick himself but Tony Roberts produced a good stop with his legs to ensure his side remained one up at the break.

Burton looked to get back into the match when play resumed and created a chance straight after the restart. Austin picked out Shroot with a superb cross field ball. Shroot played a one-two with McGrath and left his man for dead but the Northern Ireland U21 man hit his shot over the bar.

Harrad had the chance to atone for his penalty miss after 59 minutes. Paul Boertien crossed from the left and Harrad, who was unmarkerd, headed over the bar.

Peschisolido's problems mounted on the hour when captain Guy Branston was harshly sent off. Andy Corbett's stray back pass was pounced on by Benson, who was tripped by Branston, with the referee judging him to be the last man.

Shaun Harrard made way for Darren Stride who came on to fill the gap in central defence with Robin Shroot pushing further forward in attack.

Peschisolido brought on Jacques Maghoma in place of Andy Corbett on 67 minutes and Greg Pearson came on five minutes later to replace Shroot.

The Brewers thought they were back on level terms on 81 minutes when Pearson found the net but the goal was ruled out by a late flag, much to the displeasure of the Albion fans and players alike.

But the ten men couldn't force any more danger and the match finished 1-0 to the visitors.

Albion Man of the Match: Michael Simpson - Tidy all afternoon in midfield and held the team together after Branston was dismissed.

    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005