Skip to main content


12:14 29th December 2009

Greg Makes a Point Against Macc Lads

The Brewers had to settle for a point against Macclesfield in a match which they dominated for long periods.

Burton Albion went in level at half-time, Greg Pearson's strike cancelling out Emile Sinclair's early opener. And it was the Brewers who looked to end the half on a positive note, producing a lively attacking display that saw Robin Shroot miss two good chances.

Peschisolido called for a more clinical edge to his Brewers side after consecutive 1-0 defeats, and chose to replace striker Shaun Harrad with Greg Pearson for tonight's meeting with Macclesfield Town.

Long-serving left back Aaron Webster continued his return to fitness with a place on the bench and after a strong performance against Bournemouth, Darren Stride retained his place in defence.

The Silkmen were without former Burton Albion midfielder Lee Bell who is ill.

The Brewers started well with John McGrath and Michael Simpson showing some clever passing in midfield, and had the chance to exert some early pressure with a corner and then a McGrath free-kick.

But against the early run of play it was Macclesfield who had the best chance to take the lead. Colin Daniel picked the ball up deep in his own half and burst through the midfield, finding Ben Wright with his through ball. Wright was one on one with Artur Krysiak but the Polish keeper spread himself well and denied the Silkman an early goal.

But it wasn't long before Macclesfield created another chance, this time taking the lead in the twelfth minute. John Rooney put through Emile Sinclair and Krysiak did superbly well once again to keep out his effort, but the rebound fell straight to Sinclair who completed the simple task of placing the ball in the empty net.

Robin Shroot had a chance after 19 minutes to pull the Brewers level. John McGrath's pass found the Northern Ireland U21 on the edge of the area, bur after Shroot cut inside he fired his effort straight at keeper Jon Brain.

This was soon followed by an opportunity for Greg Pearson. Russell Penn took control of McGrath's deep cross and picked out Pearson on the near post, who struck his shot just wide.

As the match passed the half hour mark, play had settled down into a pattern of Brewers possession, with Macclesfield threatening on the counter.

And on one such counter in the 33rd minute John Rooney found himself in space on the left. His driven cross low into the box looked dangerous but Darren Stride strecthed enough to remove the threat.

The Brewers first goal in three games came 37 minutes into the first half. John McGrath powered through into the box and found Pearson, who showed some twinkle-toed skill to wriggle free and fire his low shot across the keeper into the goal.

And Shroot should have given the Brewers the lead on 42 minutes. Some patient build up play eventually saw Penn cross from the right. Shroot had the time and space in the area to control with his chest and shoot, but his volley skewed wide of the goal.

Albion were beginning to get into their stride as the half drew to a close and Shroot again had a chance to give Burton the lead. His shot from the edge of the area was deflected awkwardly but Brain gathered to relieve the danger for Macclesfield and go in level at half time.

Pearson tested Brain six minutes into the second half. He created some space for himself on the edge of the area and got a way a fierce curling shot that the Macclesfield keeper parried away.

The Silkmen then had a good chance to regain the lead, Nathaniel rose highest from a John Rooney corner, but his header was off target.

Albion were increasing the pressure and Shroot had his curling free-kick tipped round the post on 57 minutes. The resulting corner caused problems in the Macclesfield defence but the ball was eventually cleared.

Burton had to wait until the 75th minute before another chance fell their way. Greg Pearson received the ball on the edge of the six yard box but his shot under pressure was blocked away for a corner.

Ryan Austin's header from a corner sailed wide in the 87th minute but as the 90 minutes drew to a close the Brewers could not find a winning goal.

Brewers man of the match: John McGrath - Superb in midfield, tackled well, accurate passing, all round excellent performance.

    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005