Skip to main content


11:57 29th December 2009

Brewers Make it Three in a Row

A first league goal for Jacques Maghoma and a deflected Ryan Austin free kick was enough to see off visitors Barnet and give Peschisolido's men a third straight win.

Brewers left back Paul Boertien failed to shake off a knee problem and was replaced by Aaron Webster, making his first start in League football.

Jacques Maghoma also came in to replace John McGrath in Burton Albion's only other change since the win at Grimsby.

Left winger Keith Gilroy returned to the bench after a lengthy spell on the sidelines with a hamstring problem.

The Brewers had a chance in the first minute to snatch an early lead. Aaron Webster played through Andy Corbett whose shot on the angle found the side netting only.

And the same pairing combined again two minutes later as Webster's cross from the left found Corbett who shot wide.

Jacques Maghoma grasped his chance in the starting eleven by giving the Brewers a 1-0 lead in the eighth minute. Richard Walker demonstrated superb control and played in Maghoma whose low shot from the edge of the area went in off the post.

Barnet managed their first shot on goal in the 15th minute. Micah Hyde found himself in space 25 yards out but dragged his shot well wide.

The Brewers had the ball in the net again in the 20th minute, but Pearson's header was ruled out for offside.

Jimmy Phillips went close to doubling the lead on 28 minutes. Richard Walker again provided the ball into Phillips who twisted and turned before shooting narrowly over.

And two minutes later Joe Tabiri shot just wide for Barnet after some hesitant Burton defending provided him with a sight of goal.

Barnet began to settle into the game after their early set back and went close again when Albert Jarrett shot into the side netting on 34 minutes.

Joe Tibiri found himself in space inside the Brewers area after 41 minutes but a poor first touch allowed Artur Krysiak to gather the ball.

And the Brewers saw things through to the break for a half time lead.

A tremendous run from Phillips two minutes into the second half caused danger for the Barnet defence. Phillips' shot was charged down stright to Walker who also had his effort blocked. Pearson picked up the loose ball and drove it low across the face for a goal kick.

John McGrath was brought on in place of Greg Pearson ten minutes into the second half as Barnet began to impose themselves on the midfield. Maghoma moved up into support of Walker.

Richard Walker snuck in behind the Barnet defence on the hour mark, he squared the ball to Michael Simpson who blazed over from 17 yards.

McGrath then shot over when in space outside the area four minutes later.

Ans Walker presented Simpson with another great chance after 73 minutes. Walker's square ball on the edge of the area picked out Simpson but the midfielder shot wide.

It really should have been 2-0 to Burton a minute later when Maghoma's cross picked out Walker in space 6 yards out. Walker's header was saved but the rebound came straight back to Walker whose follow up shot was blocked on the line.

But the Brewers didn't have to wait much longer for their second. Ryan Austin's 35 yard free kick took a heavy deflection off Clovis Kamdjo on its way past Jake Cole in the Barnet net on 78 minutes.

Walker could have made it three to the Brewers 86 minutes in. He ran through to a loose ball but his shot lacked the power to beat Cole.

Webster was forced to clear off the line in the 90th minute when Jarrett's cross evading everyone in the six yard box.

But the Brewers saw out the 4 minutes injury time with no problems to seal the points.

Albion Man of the Match: Richard Walker - Made the goal for Maghoma and his hold up play was key in Burton's lively attacks.

    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005