Skip to main content


15:58 23rd December 2009

Brewers Blown Away By Spireites

After pondering how to cover the absence of winger Jimmy Phillips through injury, Brewers boss Paul Peschisolido opted to stick with a 4-4-2 formation with John McGrath returning to the centre of midfield and last weeks goalscorer, Jacques Maghoma moving to fill the left side role.

Playing into a stiff wind in the first half it was not surprising that Albion found themselves pushed back into their own half in the early stages but a poor piece of control from Ian Breckin in the 6th minute almost allowed Albion in with Richard Walker feeding Greg Pearson down the right side of the Chesterfield box.
Albions leading scorer took a touch and was unlucky to see his shot deflect safely into the arms of Spireites keeper Tommy Lee.

Chesterfield continued to press forward and took the lead in the 12th minute. The Spireites were awarded a free kick 25 yards out and when the ball was played square to Derek Niven his shot from distance was deflected into the path of Danny Hall who calmly controlled the ball before turning and firing home from ten yards out.

Chesterfield almost went two up three minutes later with on loan Manchester City winger Donal McDermott prominent. The youngster set up Drew Talbot to cause problems on the edge of the area and he fed the ball back to the Irishman. Cutting inside his low shot was smuggled wide of the near post to the relief of Albions defence.

There were more problems for Albions defence as the first period reached the midpoint. Gregor Robertsons cross almost embarrassed Artur Krysiak as it took a wicked deflection off Greg Pearson and from the resulting corner the Spirites doubled their advantage. As the flagkick was only cleared to the edge of the area, midfielder Mark Allott struck lucky with a low shot that flew through a crowd of players and past an unsighted Krysiak.

Chances for Albion were proving few and far between but a good opportunity came their way just after the half hour mark but Richard Walker was unable to divert Aaron Websters cross on target.

Chesterfield continued to play flowing and confident football with Albion at times seemingly chasing shadows and struggling to deal with the pace and movement of the home side. Jack Lester was just off target with a shot dragged wide of the far post as the first half came towards a close and with Albion looking to regroup during the half time interval.

Drew Talbot almost grabbed a third for the Spireites fifteen seconds after the restart. The lively striker who netted twice in the Johnstones Paint Trophy game at the Pirelli Stadium at the start of September strode forward and hit a dipping shot that bounced just wide of the post from fully 25 yards.

Clearly not content to sit on their two goal advantage the hosts continued to surge forward and Lesters first time effort just inside the box shaved the outside of the post with Krysiak beaten.

Paul Peschisolido waited just seven minutes into the second half to make his first substitution with Russell Penn replacing Andy Corbett in a straight swap on the right side of midfield.

Lester was close again on 56 minutes with a header that had Krysiak at full stretch to deny the former Nottingham Forest frontman and Albion had to resist pressure from a flurry of corners before breaking away with Maghoma winning a corner at the other end to relieve the pressure.

It was the signal for Albion to enjoy a spell of pressure and Aaron Webster will be wondering how did not get off the mark after Tommy Lee only half saved his shot and watched it rebound off the post into his hands.

Talbot, latching onto Lesters pass raced clear on Albions goal but somehow managed to steer his shot wide as the hosts reminded Albion of their attacking prowess.

Burton were not giving up and they created probably their best chance of the match in the 69th minute. Jacques Maghoma worked room for a cross from the left that was well controlled by Shaun Harrad, the former Notts County man driving the ball across the area where Penn, arriving late could not steer the ball inside the post.

Webster again went close in the 71st minute, the long serving defender just failing to get his head to Michael Simpsons curling free kick.

The left back did not have long to wait to open his Football League account with a fine 25 yard drive marking the occasion in the 78th minute. Industrious work from John McGrath created the chance around the edge of the area and when the ball came back to Webster his trusty left foot did the rest finding the bottom corner of Lees net.

All of Albions good work was undone two minutes later when Jack Lester was left unmarked at the far post to bring down Mark Littles cross and despite Krysiak diving at his feet the experienced striker kept calm and drilled the ball into the net.

Drew Talbot finally got the goal his efforts deserved with a low shot past Krysiak having found space on the right side of the penalty area but that was not the end of the scoring.

Shaun Harrad found the net with a close range backheel from John McGrath's free kick after Greg Pearson had been felled on the edge of the area and flying winger McDermott got a richly deserved goal when he teased and tormented the right side of Albion's defence before firing low into the net from close range.

Albion man of the match - Jacques Maghoma - looked lively on the left on a day of few positives for Albion.
Burton Albion's three match winning run came to an abrupt halt at Saltergate as Chesterfield ran in five goals for the second time this season against Paul Peschisolido's men.

Defending a home record of five wins and one draw from their six League games this season, Chesterfield were helped in the first half by a strong wind at their backs and they made the most of it to race into a 2-0 lead by the time the half time whistle went.

Albion found the net through Aaron Webster but conceded again moments later and in a frantic last few minutes Chesterfield scored another two with just Shaun Harrad's close range effort in reply.
    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005