Skip to main content


15:47 23rd December 2009

Goalless At The Pirelli

Neither side's frontmen managed frighten the goalkeepers too much as Burton and Bury played out an entertaining 0-0 on Halloween at the Pirelli.

Burton's first goalless draw in the Football League was witnessed by the largest crowd of the season with 3373 supporters in the stadium.

Chances had been few and far between at the break as the sides went it at 0-0. Good football had been on display though in an entertaining half in which both teams looked to play a high tempo passing game.

Paul Peschisolido was looking for a reaction from his side after last week's humbling at Chesterfield. The visitors, Bury, have the best away record in the league, having only lost once away from Gigg Lane.

The Brewers were without John McGrath who turned an ankle in training earlier this week. There was a boost elesewhere however as Jimmy Phillips returned to the starting line-up after a quick recovery from his knee injury.

Elsewhere Russell Penn came in for Andy Corbett, with Jacques Maghoma moving into the centre to replace McGrath. Shaun Harrad started in place of Greg Pearson.

The first ten minutes passed with neither side creating an opening. Good work from Russell Penn allowed Jacques Maghoma to get away a long range effort that was charged down.

Jimmy Phillips also had a lively start, forcing a corner after 12 minutes which was eventually cleared.

A minute later Mike Jones flashed the ball across the face of goal for Bury, but Ryan Lowe and Richie Baker both arrived too late to make contact.

Bury were able to get the ball down for a good spell of possesion after quarter of an hour. A decent passing move resulted in a cross from the left which was just too high for Lowe to get his head to.

Captain Stephen Dawson then had another opening 3 minutes later. His shot from the edge of the area was straight at Artur Kryisak though.

Jimmy Phillips stole the ball from the Bury defence after 23 minutes but his 25 yard effort was wide of Wayne Browns goal. And there was a stoppage due to a head injury to Aaron Webster on 25 minutes. The left-back, who had already had his hand bandaged, received a blow to the head by Guy Branston after a corner kick.

Play settled down at a lively pace, both teams seeming willing to get the ball down and play.

The best chance so far came on 38 minutes for the Brewers. Great play from Maghoma freed up Walker in the area. His shot was spilled by the keeper but Harrad was rash with his follow up effort which went high and wide.

The first 45 played out with no further chances, although both managers should be happy with their side's displays.

The second half got underway with no changes to either side. And it was Burton who looked to start on the front foot with a strong spell of pressure.

But in a break-a-way counter Bury surged forward and Dawson looked to be through on goal until a superb saving tackle by Branston stopped him in his tracks.

Ryan Lowe had a great chance to put Bury into the lead on 52 minutes. He turned the defence after Jones' flick on. The ball sat up nicley but the Bury top scorer fired wide.

Tom Newey's deep cross forced Webster to conceed a corner on 54 minutes. Branston cleared the danger but the ball came back to Danny Racchi who shot wide.

The hour mark came and still neither side could grab a goal. Greg Pearson came on for Walker as Peschisolido looked to change his options up front for the Brewers.

An acrobatic effort from Lowe on 65 minutes rattled the Burton cross bar, the closest either side had come to a goal so far.

Bury were forced into a change on 73 mintes when Efe Sodje limped off. He was replaced in defence by Ben Futcher.

Harrad latched on to a long ball on 79 minutes, his effort lacked the acuracy or power though to trouble Brown in goal.

An 83rd minute Burton corner resulted in a goal mouth scramble, Harrad's shot looked to be going in until Brown produced an athletic save to divert the ball over the bar.

Harrad raced clear in stoppage time but a last ditch tackle prevented him from snatching the victory.

    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005