Skip to main content


13:59 20th January 2010

Burton Albion 1 - 1 Shrewsbury Town

Ten man Burton produced a fantastic second half display to fight back for a draw against high flying Shrewsbury Town. After having Branston sent off in the first half and losing Richard Jackson through injury the Brewers were forced to field a make shift defence. But Greg Pearson's equaliser after 76 minutes ensured the Brewers earnt a share of the spoils.

Burton Albion went in a goal and a man dowh at half time. Dave Hibbert gave Shrewsbury a 27th minute lead before Branston picked up two bookings in four minutes to be dismissed on 39 minutes.

The Brewers first game of 2010 was against the Club's first every opponents in the Football League, Shrewsbury Town.

New loan signing Cleveland Taylor went straight into the team at right midfield, with Keith Gilroy switching to his familiar left wing position. Aaron Webster and Darren Stride missed out through injury so Guy Branston returned to skipper the side.

In a quiet beginning to the match both teams appeared to be feeling the other out. New loan signing Cleveland Taylor showed some promising early touches but neither side created an opening of note.

Shrewsbury suffered an early blow when skipper Graham Coughlan was forced off with an injury on eleven minutes. He was replaced by Paul Murray.

Shrewsbury's first real threat came in the 22nd minute. Terry Dunfield's high vross in dropped to Dave Hibbert who had his volley deflected over the bar.

And two minutes later Shrews' keeper David Button made a great save from a snap shot by Greg Pearson inside the area.

Shrewsbury took the lead on 27 minutes through a Dave Hibbert header. Craig Disley's corner was header on before Hibbert guided his headed effort into the net.

Hibbert forced Artur Krysiak into a smart stop on 37 minutes with a shot on the turn from the edge of the area. And a minute later the Brewers were in more trouble when they had Guy Branston dismissed. The skipper picked up his second booking in four minutes for an elbow on Paul Murray.

Keith Gilroy was sacrificed as a result with Andy Corbett coming in at right back and Richard Jackson moving into the centre.

Pearson tested Button again in first half injury time with a curling shot from the left channel but the Shrews' keeper managed to push the ball away to safety.

Peschisolido brought on Maghoma for Taylor at half time as the Brewers moved to a three man midfield. Greg Pearson took on the captain's arm band following Branston's red card.

Craig Disley could and should have doubled Shrewsbury's lead on 49 minutes. Disleu found himself in space 18 yards out but fired wide.

Ten minutes into the second half and the Brewers started to find their way back into the contest. The introduction of Maghoma added a dynamic element to the midfield alongside the battling McGrath and Penn.

There were more problems for Peschisolido on the hour when Richard Jackson was forced off injured. Michael Simpson came on to replace the defender. Andy Corbett joined Tony James at centre back with Russell Penn now operating at right full back.

The Brewers began to raise the tempo and Russell Penn saw his long range shot hit the post on 68 minutes. John McGrath then let fly with a half volley from 20 yards two minutes later which Button scrambled wide.

The Brewers constant pressure paid off when Greg Pearson bustled through to score on 76 minutes. The striker broke a challenge on the edge of the box before stabbing the ball past Button.

Maghoma then stung the palms of Button on 79 minutes. His powerful strike from outside the area was shovelled behind for a corner kick.

Pearson had a shot deflected wide in the 82nd minute after good work from Simpson.

Cansdell-Sherriff was lucky to escape with a booking after a lunge on Steve Kabba after 85 minutes. Maghoma struck the free kick just over.

Shrewsbury went close to snatching the lead back when Lewis Neal's shot was deflected across the face of goal on 88 minutes.

And they went even closer two minutes later, Neal again with the effort that just crept past the far post.

Brewers Man of the Match: Russell Penn - Inspired the Brewerrs to a second half fight back.

    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005