Skip to main content


16:55 20th March 2010

Burton Albion 2-2 Chesterfield

Greg Pearson grabbed a 94th minute equaliser to rescue a point for the Brewers after looking as if they were going to slip to a fourth consecutive home defeat. Scott Boden had put the Spireites 2-1 up and Shaun Harrad missed a penalty in the 89th minute.

The first half finished level thanks to Russell Penn cancelling out Ishmel Demontagnac's opener for the Spireites. In a half of few chances Artur Krysiak produced one good save as both sides battled with slippery surface.

Jimmy Phillips came in to replace the injured Jacques Maghoma in the only change to the side that lost 6-5 to Cheltenham Town last weekend. New signing Shaun Kelly made his first appearance on the Brewers bench.

Richard Walker failed to make the squad, he has been out of training this week with a calf strain picked up earlier in the week.

Chesterfield manager John Sheridan is banned from the touchline for today's match after being sent to the stands in the Spireites' recent match against Notts County.

A heavy rain shower just before kick off created a slippery surface for the players and neither side forced any real moments of danger in the opening ten minutes.

Paul Boertien picked up the first booking of the game in the thirteenth minute for a clumsy challenge on Ishmel Demontagnac.

The first shot of the game came in the 17th minute, an ambitios effort from Shaun Harrad who struck the ball on the half volley from 30 yards out. Spireites 'keeper Tommy Lee collected the ball with ease.

Wade Small then forced a good save out out Artur Krysiak in the 18th minute. Demontagnac played in Small who raced through one on one but Krysiak spread himself well to smother the ball away.

Demontagnac brought down Jimmy Phillips on the edge of the area after 26 minutes, Cleveland Taylor whipped in the freekick which was punched away well by Lee. After nearly half an hour played the game had turned into a midfield battle with John McGrath and Russell Penn looking to gain a hold of the central third.

Harrad sent a header wide of the near post after 33 minutes. Good play from Boertien and Kabba resulted in the latter's cross which Harrad could not get on target.

Chesterfield went ahead after 34 minutes. Wade Small crossed from the right by-line, the cross took a deflection and looped into the box where Krysiak and Corbett failed to deal with it, DEMONTAGNAC was on hand to guide the ball into the net.

Barry Conlon then glanced a header wide from Danny Boshell's free kick three minutes later. Russell Penn then drilled in a low shot on 39 minutes but Lee was well placed to gather the ball on the greasy surface.

And the Brewers were back level in the 40th minute. Jimmy Phillips crossed for Harrad to control who laid the ball off to PENN who smashed it past Lee.

Half time: Burton Albion 1 - 1 Chesterfield

Rusell Penn had a shot from distance four minutes into the second half but the ball sailed high over the bar. Steve Kabba was booked on 53 minutes for diving in on Andrew Whing.

There was a nervous moment for John McGrath on 57 minutes when he struck his own post , the captain deflected a cross from the right. The ball then rebounded off Small into the arms of Krysiak.

Chesterfield regained their lead on 61 minutes through substitute Scott BODEN. Parkes lost the ball in midfield to Small who carried the ball to the egde of the area before finding Boden who created enough space to blast the ball past Krysiak.

The game was becomming more and more stretched as the half progressed and Demontagnac had another chance for Chesterfield afdter 67 minutes but dragged his shot wide of the near post.

McGrath was brought down by Mark Allot on the edge of the area in a dangerous position but McGrath's free kick was sent tamely into the wall on 72 minutes. Shaun Harrad was booked for dissent after the foul on McGrath.

A minute later Harrad made some room for himself on the edge of the area and almost placed the ball past Lee who found himself wrong footed but produced a good low save,

Wade Small then wasted a glorious opportunity for Chesterfield. He found himself with plenty of space in the area but fired his shot well wide.

Steve Kabba was replaced in the 77th minute by Greg Pearson as the Brewers looked for the equaliser. And Aaron Websterb was brought on for the last ten minutes in place of Phillips.

Chesterfield kept some good pressure on the Brewers and Boden could have grabbed his second of the game after 87 minutes but missed his kick as the ball came over from a Talbot cross.

The Brewers were awarded a penalty kick on 88 minutes after Aaron Webster was held in the area. But Harrad's spot kick was well saved by Lee low down to his left.

But in the 94th minute Greh PEARSON put the Brewers level. Andy Corbett knocked down Harrad's cross for Pearson to place in at the far post and rescue a point for Burton.

Brewers Man of the Match - John McGrath

Attendance: 3696

Goals: Burton - Penn (40) Chesterfield - Demontagnac (34) Boden (61)

Referee: Mr T. Kettle

Booked: Burton - Boertien (13) Kabba (53) Harrad (72)



    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005