Skip to main content


16:55 5th April 2010

Bury 3-0 Burton Albion

The Brewers completed a miserable Easter programme with defeat in their first ever visit to Gigg Lane. Both sides were looking to recover from poor Saturday results and it was the hosts who got their play-off push back on track with a comfortable 3-0 victory over Paul Peschisolido's men.

Tony James deflected a shot past his own keeper early on and second half substitute Andy Morrell grabbed a couple of goals to leave Albion still in 13th place and in need of a result against Bradford City on Saturday.

In an attempt to keep his side fresh and in the wake of Saturday's disappointing home defeat to bottom side Darlington, Brewers boss Paul Peschisolido made four changes to his starting line-up. Aaron Webster replaced Paul Boertien at left back and Steve Kabba returned to the starting line-up in place of leading scorer Shaun Harrad. There were also full debuts for recent signings Rommy Boco and Shaun Kelly. Versatile Benin international Boco came in on the right side of midfield with Cleveland Taylor switching to the left wing and Kelly was given an opportunity to impress at the heart of defence as young loanee Tom Parkes was rested.

Jacques Maghoma returned to the bench after injury whilst Michael Simpson missed out after picking up a facial injury on Saturday.

Albion had a good chance to open the scoring in just the third minute. Steve Kabba won a free kick off Efe Sodje down the left and when Cleveland Taylor played the ball short to John McGrath the skipper lifted the ball to the far post where Rommy Boco fired straight at Wayne Brown. Kabba had a chance himself in the fifth minute picking up a loose clearance on the edge of the box and drilling a low effort wide of the post.

Bury, looking to get over a 5-0 drubbing at Notts County were somewhat gifted the lead in the 8th minute. Ryan Lowe raided down the right and fed the ball inside for David Worrall. The youngster chanced his arm and fired goalwards where the ball hit Tony JAMES inside the six yard box and diverted past Artur Krysiak. It was the Shakers first goal in open play since February 9th.

Buoyed by the goal Bury pressed forward in search of a second and it almost came in the 13th minute when Ryan Lowe twisted and turned inside the box before guiding a right foot effort wide of the post.

Albion responded with Cleveland Taylor jinking his way into the area, his cross only cut out by Sodje and in the 18th minute Russ Penn went on a surging run, testing Brown in the Bury goal with an effort from the edge of the penalty area.

Taylor was at the heart of another promising Brewers move in the 25th minute finding Greg Pearson with a low cross but the in form striker's shot was blocked away to safety.

The match descended into something of a midfield battle with Bury arguably looking the more threatening. Ryan Lowe almost doubled the hosts advantage in the 43rd minute. Good work by Manchester City youngster JamesPoole down the right resulted in a good cross but Lowe was unable to guide his header at the back post onto the target.

Half time - Bury 1 - 0 Burton Albion

Bury quickly tried to put the game to bed in the second half and both Ryan Lowe, with a shot straight at Artur Krysiak, and JamesPoole, with an effort wide of the far post were close to doubling the Shakers advantage.

Big centre half Ryan Cresswell was also close with a thumping header from Bury's first corner of the match in the 51st minute. Either side of Krysiak and it would have been 2-0 but the Albion keeper stood firm and gratefully clutched the ball.

Russell Penn tried a shot from distance that Brown did well to gather in as Albion at last began to find some forward momentum. The Brewers quickly made two changes just before the hour mark. Tom Parkes replaced Andy Corbett and Shaun Harrad replaced Steve Kabba in attack.

John McGrath picked up just his second yellow card of the season for a mistimed challenge and Albion made their final substitution in the 66th minute as Jacques Maghoma replaced Rommy Boco with Cleveland Taylor switching to the right wing to accommodate him.

Tony James followed his skipper into the referee's notebook in the 69th minute for a challenge on Poole, the defender's first caution of the campaign.

Albion's luck was summed up in the 76th minute. Maghoma had a shot deflected that fell into the hands of Brown and the experienced keeper turned defence into attack launching a long ball forward. Tony James attempted to shepherd the ball back to his keeper but substitute Andy MORRELL was lurking to poke the ball beyond both of them into the unguarded net.

The Brewers were in need of a swift response to have any chance of grabbing something out of the game but Russell Penn was denied by Brown with an angled shot from just inside the area.

Krysiak had to make a fingertip save to prevent a third as Bishop tried to capitalise on a free kick routine. That would have certainly been game over and when Shaun Harrad was denied by Brown in the 83rd minute it certainly had the feel that it was not Albion's day.

MORRELL's second of the game in the 86th minute confirmed it as David Worrall worked hard down the left to put the ball into the box where the former Coventry striker got the better of Shaun Kelly to squeeze the ball inside the near post.

Substitute Michael Jones ruined an otherwise good day for the Shakers picking up a second yellow card in stoppage time and getting his marching orders from referee Nigel Miller.

SHAKERS: Brown, Scott, Buchanan, Cresswell, Dawson, Bishop, Barry-Murphy, Lowe (Morrell, 68), Sodje, Worrall, Poole (Jones, 74). Substitutes: Hewson, Futcher, Carlton, Belford, Newey.

ALBION: Krysiak; Corbett (Parkes, 59) , James, Kelly, Webster; Boco (Maghoma, 66), Penn, McGrath, Taylor; Pearson, Kabba (Harrad, 59). Substitutes: Poole, Boertien, Gilroy, Phillips.

Referee: Mr. N.Miller (Durham)

GOALS: Bury - James ((own goal) 8), Morrell (76, 86)

Attendance: 2,710 (307 away)

    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005