Skip to main content


21:37 13th April 2010

Macclesfield Town 1-1 Burton Albion

Burton Albion gained a deserved point from a fast and furious game against old non-league rivals Macclesfield Town. Albion still seemed to be in the dressing room as Nat Brown rose highest to head past a statuesque defence from a third minute corner. Albion recovered and from a similar situation Albion scored themselves in the second half as John McGrath's inswinger was deflected past his own keeper by Matty Tipton.

Brewers boss Paul Peschisolido resisted the temptation to experiment with his side making just one change to the side that drew against Bradford City on Saturday afternoon.

Steve Kabba was preferred in attack to Greg Pearson after proving instrumental in the equaliser against the Bantams. Shaun Kelly returned to the substitutes bench in place of Keith Gilroy who was struggling with a hamstring injury.

Former Brewer Lee Bell was instantly into the action conceding a free kick in the opening seconds after a foul on Andy Corbett as he tried to clear the ball. The first time that Macclesfield attacked though they took the lead. The SIlkmen won a corner and when the ball came over defender Nat BROWN rose highest to steer a header over everyone and into the back of the net from just about on the penalty spot.

Russ Penn failed to capitalise as Albion looked for an equaliser. Tony James long ball forward was held up well by Steve Kabba and when the striker laid the ball inside Penn tried to take the ball into the area but on the hard pitch just lost control. The former Kidderminster man was closer moments later with a snap shot that flew just wide as the ball bobbled around inside the Macclesfield penalty area.

The Home side began to play some slick football and Krysiak had to drop low to his right to cover a shot from John Rooney, brother of Wayne in the 14th minute. There was another moment of concern shortly afterwards as Matty Tipton wriggled free to slide the ball across the six yard box but fortunately for Albion there was no-one else there to turn the ball home.

The pitch was not helping either side with high bounces making control awkward. Steve Kabba turned on the edge of the box to shoot but had to wait for the ball to come down and his effort was blocked. That coming after Cleveland Taylor's cross from the right had caused problems as it bounced up. Shaun Harrad forced a good save from Jon Brain at his near post as Albion continued to press.

A comedy of errors almost gave Albion an equaliser in the 22nd minute. Another Taylor ball in rolled agonisingly across the six yard box as several players tried and dailed to control it and it was left for Maghoma to finally see a ten yard shot blocked at close range.

Macclesfield's second corner of the game almost reaped another reward. Brown again won the header but this time headed down into the path of Vinny Mukendi whose angled effort was kept out by Krysiak.

The home side looked to have doubled their advantage in the 34th minute. Mukendi pulled the ball back into the box. Rooney put the ball to the back post where Tipton hit a shot into the ground that fell invitingly for Rooney to head home but an assistant's offside flag came to the Brewers rescue.

Moments later the same thing happened for Burton. Paul Boertien and Russell Penn linked up and after some passing on the edge of the box, Boertien crossed into the middle where Paul Morgan headed into his own net but the flag was already up against the Albion full back.

Albion went closest yet to an equaliser in the 40th minute. A free kick into the Macclesfield box from McGrath was not properly cleared and when the ball fell for Tom Parkes he turned and fired inon goal only to see Bell produce a superb block to keep the ball out.

Russ Penn had a deflected shot go straight at Jon Brain as the first half drew to a close and in added on time Cleveland Taylor hit a swerving effort off target afer good work by Shaun Harrad on the edge of the penalty area.

Half time: Macclesfield Town 1-0 Burton Albion

Albion started the second half brightly and had the home side penned back as McGrath hit a free kick into the wall after Kabba was fouled 25 yards out and Maghoma tried his luck from an acute angle.

Macclesfield almost doubled their lead moments later as space opened up for Mukendi to shoot. The striker was foiled by Krysiak and as the ball looked to be falling for Rooney six yards out, Andy Corbett produced a superb challenge to hack the ball clear of danger.

Albion equalised in the 57th minute and like the hosts early strike it came from a corner. Maghoma did well to force the ball out off a home defender and when McGrath curled the ball into the near post, Matthew TIPTON diverted the ball beyond his own keeper.

The hosts were clearly disappointed after looking like extending their lead in the minutes leading up to the equaliser. Mukendi continued to be a handful and hit a stinging shot on the turn straight at Krysiak.

Harrad continued to keep the home defence on their toes and their was an anxious moment for Brain as he had to watch to make sure that the striker's shot from the edge of the area went wide.

Mukendi turned provider for Tipton in the 65th minute. The striker tried to take his angled shot early but put it straight at Krysiak. As the game became increasingly stretched chances continued to come for both sides. Rooney was next to go close with a deflected effort that Krysiak eventually grabbed under his own crossbar.

Albion made their first change in the 72nd minute as Michael Simpson came on to bring some fresh legs to midfield. Russell Penn, a tireless worker in the middle was the man to make way.

Maghoma was becoming increasingly influential for Albion and his 75th minute effort bounced up awkwardly for Jon Brain but the keeper did well to hang on to the former Spurs man's shot.

The Brewers were agonnisingly close to taking the lead in the 78th minute and again it was a corner that created the danger. McGrath whipped the ball to the far post and Tony James threw himself at the ball along with keeper Brain, the ball going just wide and James injuring himself in the process but after treatment coming back onto the field.

Albion responded to a double change from the hosts with an attacking change of their own, Greg Pearson replacing Kabba for the final ten minutes. The visitors were making chances and McGrath saw a volley deflected out for a corner that allowed the Brewers to keep the pressure on.

In a rare foray forward Macclesfield almost hit Albion with a sucker punch. Tom Parkes missed his header on the edge of the box and Emile Sinclair forced a reaction save from Krysiak with five minutes remaining.

Taylor spurned a superb chance to grab all three points when he blazed wastefully high, wide and not very handsome after good work by Harrad in the box.

MACCLESFIELD: Brain, Reid, Hessey, Brown, Morgan, Bell, Rooney (Lindfield, 77), Lowe, Sinclair, Tipton (Wilson, 77), Mukendi. Substitutes: Veiga, Askey, Jukes, Beckett, Kompany.

ALBION: Krysiak; Corbett, James, Parkes, Boertien; Taylor, McGrath, Penn (Simpson, 72), Maghoma; Harrad, Kabba (Pearson, 80). Substitutes: Poole, Webster, Phillips, Pearson, Boco, Kelly.

Referee: Mr. A.Penn (West Midlands)

GOALS: Macclesfield - Brown (3), ALBION - Tipton, og (57)

Attendance: 1,588

    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005