Skip to main content


21:40 27th January 2010

Burton Albion 1 V 0 Lincoln City

Burton Albion completed their first Football League double with a 1-0 victory over Lincoln City. The result also saw the Brewers gain their first midweek victory of the season.

Cleveland Taylor's 54 second volley was all Peschisolido's men needed to edge out the Imps on a chilly Wednesday evening at the Pirelli Stadium.

Brewers boss Paul Peschisolido made two changes from the team that achieved such a memorable victory over Torquay on Saturday. Artur Krysiak came in to replace Kevin Poole and Steve Kabba returned to partner Shaun Harrad up front.

Paul Boertien missed through injury so Aaron Webster switched to left back in a 4-4-2 formation.

The Brewers made a dream start taking the lead after just 54 seconds through Cleveland TAYLOR. Russell Penn's freekick came out to Tom Parkes on the left who delivered the ball for Taylor to emphatically smash home on the volley.

And the Brewers kept up their strong start to the match forcing another corner shortly after which Aaron Webster was unlucky not to get on the end of.

Steve Kabba showed some fancy footwork to set free Jacques Maghoma on 20 minutes, but the midfielder's shot was charged down outside the area.

Lincoln's Clark Keltie may have breathed a sigh of relief after 27 minutes when he tripped Kabba as he bared down on goal, the referee electing to show only yellow.

Shaun Harrad almost doubled the Brewers lead on 38 minutes. The ball dropped kindly to Harrad after Kabba closed down the defence but the striker's early shot rebounded back off the near post.

Lincoln came within inches of levelling in first half injury time. Joe Anderson's free kick hit the inside of the post with 'keeper Krysiak stranded. Aaron Webster cleared the rebound for the Brewers.

Half Time

Early into the second half and Russell Penn was shown a yellow card for a late tackle on Craig Herd. Penn's fifth booking of the season will rule him out of the Northampton match on Saturday.

Lincoln tested Krysiak for the first time in the game on 52 minutes. Scott Kerr's swept shot from the edge of the area forced a low stop from the 6ft 4' Pole.

Harrad dropped back into a five man midfield midway through the second half as Lincoln began to exert more pressure on the Brewers. Steve Kabba continued to work away at front showing the kind of touch and skill that once graced the Premier League.

After 73 minutes the excellent Steve Kabba was replaced by Greg Pearson. Peschisolido not risking Kabba any further as the striker has missed the last two games.

Maghoma had Burton's best chance of the second half on 75 minutes when he was put through on goal, only for a last ditch challenge to deny the Brewers extending their advantage.

Anderson then went close in the 81st minute with another well taken freekick which just went wide of Krysiak's left post.

Another chance went by for Burton in the 83rd minute when Shaun Harrad brought down McGrath's free kick but dragged his left footed shot wide of the near post.

Artur Krysiak produced a superb 94th minute save to deny Herd snatching a point for the Imps.

Full Time

BREWERS: 30 Krysiak, 03 Webster, 05 James, 06 McGrath, 08 Corbett, 09 Harrad, 16 Penn, 19 Maghoma, 23 Taylor, 25 Parkes, 26 Kabba (Pearson 73). SUBS 01 Poole, 20 Branston, 12 Thompsn, 18 Pearson, 10 Walker, 14 Goodfellow, 22 Knowles.

    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005