Skip to main content


21:39 16th February 2010

Morecambe 3 - 2 Burton Albion

On loan Accrington striker Paul Mullin proved to be Albion's nemesis again snatching an 85th minute winner for Morecambe as they exacted revenge for their 5-2 defeat at the Pirelli Stadium back in August. Jacques Maghoma and Shaun Harrad had Albion 2-1 ahead at the interval after soaking up intense Morecambe pressure but despite battling away in the second half the home side finally converted pressure into goals to claim a thrilling victory.

Russell Penn's knee injury picked up against Crewe Alexandra on Friday night kept him out of the side for the visit to Morecambe forcing manager Paul Pescholido into a change for the first time in six games. Paul Boertien, fit again after a nasty dead leg picked up in the away game at Torquay United, returned to the left back slot with Aaron Webster pushed forward to a wide midfield role. This switch allowed Jacques Maghoma to move into the centre of midfield to partner skipper John McGrath.

With O'Neil Thompson's loan deal from Barnsley having expired on Sunday there were changes on the substitutes bench too with Richard Jackson returning to fitness, replacing Boertien and goalkeeper Ross Atkins appearing on the bench for the first time since joining on loan from Derby County last month.

Jacques Maghoma fired well wide with Albion's first attack in the opening exchanges but Morecambe may feel they should have been ahead in the third minute when Stewart Drummond's quickly taken free kick found Paul Mullin in a good position twelve yards from goal. The on loan Accrington striker chose to hit a first time volley which to the relief of the Brewers defence went well off target.

The Shrimps were close again in the tenth minute from another set piece. Aaron Webster was penalised for handball twenty five yards out and Craig Stanley found skipper David Artell in the box but his glancing header went just wide of Artur Krysiak's right hand post.

Morecambe continued to look the more assured side and the one most likely to break the deadlock but after some good link up play Paul Mullin was twice penalised to relieve the pressure on the Albion defence. He was adjudged to have backed into Krysiak challenging for a high ball and then was pulled up for handball as the hosts moved the ball around slickly in midfield before trying to play in the prolific striker.

Albion were struggling to get a period of possession and Krysiak was again called into action when Laurence Wilson tried his luck from range and the on loan keeper had to push the ball around the post to safety.

Totally against the run of play Albion stunned their hosts by scoring. Andy Corbett picked up the ball and fed it to Jacques MAGHOMA just inside the Morecambe half. The former Tottenham youngster ran straight at the home defence and with nobody closing him down got as far as the 'D' before rifling an unstoppable shot past a stunned Barry Roche.

Morecambe were stung into a response and both Mullin and Phil Jevons had shots blocked on the line in the 27th minute but there was no stopping a thumping header from DRUMMOND as the resulting corner was swung in from the right in the 28th minute.

The hosts thought they had taken the lead two minutes later when a curling shot from Craig Stanley came back off the woodwork but while Mullin celebrated putting the rebound in the back of the net the assistant referee was busy flagging him offside.

Albion soaked up the Morecambe pressure and again hit them on the counter attack in the 41st minute. Steve Kabba's flick sent Shaun HARRAD racing clear. He turned clear of his marker and ran in on Roche before slipping the ball past him and into the bottom corner of the net. It took the striker's hot streak to seven in his last ten games. The goal also brought to an end five straight games where the Brewers had only managed one goal in the game.

Burton had to survive more late pressure as the first half drew to a close but Krysiak's goal stayed in tact and Albion somehow went into the break in front.

Half time - Morecambe 1 - 2 Burton Albion

Burton's goal continued to lead something of a charmed life in the early stages of the second half as Morecambe went straight onto the attack. Wilson's cross from the left found its way through to Garry Hunter and his shot from the edge of the box deflected off a Brewers defender before thumping against the post with Krysiak wrong footed.

Drummond squandered a golden opportunity to equalise in the 54th minute. A slip by Tony James allowed Mullin to sweep the ball out to Duffy on the left. he ran on and put a cross in back to Mullin at the far post. Unselfishly he chested the ball into the direction of Morecambe's scorer who screwed his shot horribly wide of the goal.

Again Albion almost hit the Shrimps with a sucker punch. A long kick by Krysiak was misjudged by David Artell and Harrad stole around behind him to hit a low shot that had Roche scrambling across his goal and grateful to see it roll wide of the post.

Paul Peschisolido made his first change on 59 minutes with Cleveland Taylor withdrawn in favour of Richard Jackson. This allowed Corbett to push forward and give some more defensive steel to the right side of midfield.

Skipper John McGrath produced a timely intervention in the 61st minute preventing an almost certain goal for Mullin. Tom Parkes was brushed off the ball by Drummond and when the ball eventually found its way into the six yad box the captain nicked the ball off the toe of the striker as he looked certain to score.

Albion were inches away from making it 3-1 in the 65th minute. Steve Kabba held the ball up on the left and rolled a superbly weighted pass into the path of Maghoma but with Roche comprehensively beaten the ball bounced down off the underside of the crossbar. The woodwork was still reverberating moments later when McGrath curled a free kick against the bar with Kabba's squandering the chance to bury the rebound.

Morecambe almost exacted swift punishment with Craig Stanley volleying just wide from the edge of the area.

Kabba's miss proved to be costly as the Shrimps levelled the game in the 72nd minute. Hunter escaped down the right onto a diagonal pass and when his cross from the bye line found its way through to Phil JEVONS, the on loan striker couldnt miss from inside the six yard box. Kabba's luck got worse immmediately after as the striker turned well on the edge of the box but scooped a shot from the edge of the area over the crossbar.

Peschisolido freshened his side again with ten minutes to go, Greg Pearson replacing Andy Corbett with Shaun Harrad asked to move to the right wing.

Morecambe continued to press and they took the lead in the 85th minute. Wilson was allowed the space to send in a deep cross from the left and MULLIN rose highest at the back post to head home.

ALBION: Krysiak; Corbett (Pearson, 80), James, Parkes, Boertien; Taylor (Jackson, 59), Maghoma, McGrath, Webster; Harrad, Kabba. Substitutes: Walker, Gilroy, Atkins, Phillips, Knowles.

MORECAMBE: Roche, Artell, Stanley, Hunter, Jevons (Curtis, 90+3), Drummond, Duffy (Adams, 74), Wilson, Mullin (Panther 90+5), Parrish, Haining. Substitutes: Davies, Moss, Bentley, Twiss, Panther,

GOALS: MORECAMBE - Drummond (28), Jevons (72), Mullin (85), ALBION - Maghoma (23), Harrad (41)

BOOKINGS: ALBION - Corbett, Harrad

Referee: Mr. G.Sutton (Lincolnshire)

Attendance: 1,537

    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005