Skip to main content


11:32 13th February 2010

Brewers 1-2 Crewe

The Brewers missed the chance to draw level on points with Notts County as they went down 2-1 to Dario Gradi's hard working Crewe side. Clayton Donaldson's 84th minute strike, amid calls for offside, secured Crewe's double over the Brewers this season. Burton had much the better of the second half but couldn't grab a goal to merit their display. The sides went in level at half time after Shaun Miller's 27th minute strike was cancelled out a minute later by Shaun Harrad's 12th league goal of the season.

In a change to the advertised kick off time, the game was delayed until 8.00pm due to illness of one of the match officials. Fourth official Darren Drysdale became the referee for the evening with Roy Burton taking his place as fourth official.

Brewers boss Paul Peschisolido named an unchanged eleven for the visit of Crewe to the Pirelli Stadium. Paul Boertien returned to the bench in place of JamesKnowles.

The game also saw a return to the Pirelli for John Brayford who captained the Railywaymen.

Crewe started the brighter at the Pirelli Stadium and sustained a long period of possession in the opening seven minutes. No chances were created however as both sides made a slow start to the game.

Ashley Westwood's ball forwards in the 15th minute looked to have caused some confusion in the Brewers defence before Tom Parkes demonstrated his cool demeanour as he hooked the ball away from danger.

Shaun Harrad got away the first shot of the game on 16 minutes but his effort was skewed horribly wide of the near post from 16 yards out, And Cleveland's Taylor deflected effort two minutes later rolled slowly into the arms of Crewe 'keeper Steve Phillips.

Luke Murphy's deflected effort on 18 minutes looped high in the air and would have fallen under the crossbar had Krysiak not been alert to the danger. John Brayford got up well from the corner but his header from just inside the area looped wide away from goal.

Crewe began to pressure the Albion defence as Byron Moore forced a save from Krysiak and then broke down the left shortly later, his cross only just evading Joel Grant in the centere. Tony James then headed away Westwood's dangerous cross inside the six yard box.

Burton were failing to make much of an impression on the game, with Russell Penn's long range shot well wide on 25 minutes,

Crewe took the lead on 27 minutes. Byron Moore played in Shaun MILLER who cut inside Webster and curled the ball beyond Krysiak.

But a minute later the Brewers were level. Red hot Shaun HARRAD picked up McGrath's through ball and with his back to goal, under pressure from the defence, Harrad spun and fired low past Phillips.

Harrad had a great chance to score again on 31 minutes but Phillips was out quickly to smother the striker's effort.

The Brewers reacted well to their equaliser with Harrad again and Maghoma both going close in the next two minutes.

Harrad and Westwood were involved in a tussle shortly before half time, both were given stern words by Mr Drysdale but the referee elected not to show any cards.

Half time: Burton Albion 1 - 1 Crewe Alexandra

Two minutes into the second half and Russell Penn pulled up off the ball with an injury that would see him play no further part in the game. Jimmy Phillips was brought on in place of Penn, as Jacques Maghoma moved inside to partner McGrath in centre midfield.

Harrad came close to his 13th goal of the season on 53 minutes. Jimmy Phillips wriggled through in the area and fed the ball to Harrad whose shot on the turn came back off the near post. The danger wasn't over for Crewe as the rebound fell back to Harrad who has his second effort blocked.

Harrad then had another shot saved two minutes later, the rebound off Steve Phillips just evaded Steve Kabba on the follow up.

Cleveland Taylor almost struck with a stunner on 56 minutes, his 40 yard drive almost slipped through the hands of Phillips who managed to just divert the ball over the bar. Peschisolido brought on Greg Pearson before the resulting corner in place of Steve Kabba.

And the substitute cames inches from putting the Brewers into the lead on 59 minutes. Harrad slid the ball across the face if goal but Pearson could not quite arrive in time to slot home into the unguarded net.

Crewe had their best opening of the half on 68 minuites when the ball fell invitingly to Byron Moore on the edge of the area. Moore's shot lacked the power to beat Krysiak though as the 'keeper made a low save to his right.

Andy Corbett stretched to make an inch perfect tackle on Byron Moore in the 73rd minute when it looked as though the Crewe player was in one on one with Krysiak.

Dario Gradi brought on Clayton Donaldson in place of the goalscorer Shaun Miller in the 75th minute.

Aaron Webster cut inside beautifully in the 80th minute but his shot from 18 yards just shaved the wrong side of the far post.

Richard Walker came on for the final seven minutes in place of Harrad for his first appearance since the defeat at Crewe.

Crewe went into the lead on 84 minutes. Brayford knocked the ball over the top for Byron Moore to chase. He shrugged off Corbett and rounded Krysiak. His shot across goal was tapped in by Clayton DONALDSON amid calls from the Brewers players for offside.

A late scramble in the Crewe area came to nothing for the Brewers as their recent fine run of form came to an end.

Albion man of the match: Shaun Harrad - Looked lively once again up front and continued his superb run in front of goal.

Attendance: 2985

Brewers goals: Harrad (28)

Booked: Crewe - Worley (83)



Referee: Mr. D Drysdale

    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005