Skip to main content


16:54 26th February 2011

Brewers 2-4 Rotherham United

Burton Albion conceeded a 89th minute Adam Le Fondre goal to throw away a winning position and finish the afternoon in the bottom two of the League. Jason Taylor also struck for the Millers deep into injury time to compound the defeat. Greg Pearson and Aaron Webster struck either side of a Johnny Mullins header in the first half to take the lead at the break but the Brewers came under heavy pressure in the second half and conceeded twice in the last 15 minutes to goals from Marcus Marshall and Adam Le Fondre.

Paul Peschisolido decided to stick with the tried and tested 4-2-3-1 formation which had so far brought the Brewers success at the Pirelli Stadium, with Greg Pearson starting in the lone striker's role.

Nathan Stanton returned to partner Tony James in the back four with Darren Moore dropping to bench. Andrew Corbett slotted in at right back after Ryan Austin suffered a reaction to his hamstring injury after playing 90 minutes at Wycombe on Tuesday evening. Russell Penn, back from a one game ban, replaced Jimmy Phillips who dropped to the bench.

Tuesday night goalscorer Sam Winnall also started on the bench with Aaron Webster coming back into the starting eleven.

Burton Albion made the dream start when Greg PEARSON headed them into the lead after just 51 seconds. John McGrath sprayed the ball wide to Paul Boertien who curled the ball in from the left perfectly onto the head of Pearson who guided the ball into past Andy Warrington in the Rotherham net. It was Pearson's first goal from open play this season.

Aaron Webster then went on a marauding run into the area, cutting inside from the left before having his right footed shot blocked away.

But the Millers were right back in it after five minutes when Johnny MULLINS headed past Legzdins after Jason Taylor had headed Tom Newey's freekick back across the box.

And Rotherham should have taken the lead in the 8th minute when Newey's long diagonal found Marcus Marshall in the box who nodded the ball down for Ryan Taylor to smash over the bar.

The Brewers began to press again on the quarter of an hour mark, with Aaron Webster mis-queuing his shot following a lovely interchange between Maghoma and Boertien. Two minutes later Maghoma then spun away from Danny Coid and burst down the left before firing the ball across goal, just out of the reach of Pearson on the edge of the six yard box.

Maghoma saw his fierce shot from 20 yards spilled by Warrington on 24 minutes but no Brewers player was in sight for the follow up.

Pearson had another good chance to put Albion back ahead in the 28th minute. McGrath's corner was headed down into the feet of Pearson by Adam Bolder but Pearson's stab towards goal was blocked by Nick Fenton.

Ryan Taylor almost caught Legzdins out of position in the 33rd minute, shooting left footed across goal from 20 yards out but just wide of the post.

The Brewers had been playing with confidence though and they retook the lead in the 34th minute when Russell Penn created space for himself and squared for WEBSTER who finished well on his trusted left foot for his tenth goal of the season.

Webster and Pearson between them almost put the Brewers further ahead. Andrew Corbett slid a lovely ball forwards which both players closed in on but neither could get a touch to take it past Warrington.

Half time: Burton Albion 2-1 Rotherham United

Rotherham had an early chance in the second half when Marcus Marshall's cross just evaded Adam Le Fondre six yards out.

Burton were awarded a penalty in the 49th minute when Jacques Maghoma was brought down by Marshall just as he was about to shoot from 12 yards. The Brewers wasted the chance though when Aaron Webster hit the underside of the cross bar.

Rotherham had taken heart from the missed penalty and were starting to build pressure on the Brewers goal with Ryan Taylor and Adam Le Fondre a constant threat up front.

Rotherham were awarded a dangerous freekick on the edge of the area when Nathan Stanton tugged Ryan Taylor to the ground in the 66th minute. Le Fondre laid the ball off for Nicky Law to flick up and volley high over the bar.

Two minutes later Russell Penn had a goalbound effort deflected over the bar by Johnny Mullins, follwoing good work from Andrew Corbett down the right. Pearson had found himself with a run at the defender but when he lost control Corbett was on hand to guide the ball back forwards to Penn.

Rotherham had been building the pressure and that paid off in the 74th minute when Marcus Marshall was left all alone to head home Liam Henderson's cross.

And Rotherham almost took the lead in the 82nd minute when Liam Henderson shot just wide of the far post folloing Le Fondre's lay off.

Jimmy Phillips came on for the last 8 minutes in place of Jacques Maghoma.

Henderson again went close in the 86th minute from a similar position, once again feeding off Le Fondre's pass. But Peschisolido was going for the win and brought on Sam Winnall for Russ Penn with three minutes to go.

Adam Legzdins produced an important save from Nicky Law's 20 yard effort in the 88th minute as Rotherham continued to push for a winner. But it was heartbreak for the Brewers when LE FONDRE poked the ball past Legzdins after a cross from the right evaded a number of Albion defenders.

Rotherham sealed the victory with a Jason TAYLOR breakaway goal in the 94th minute.

Full time: Burton Albion 2-4 Rotherham United

Attendance: 3596

Scorers: Burton: Pearson (1) Webster (34) Rotherham - Mullins (5) Law (74) Le Fondre (89) J. Taylor (90+4)

Referee: Mr G. D Horwood

Booked: Burton: Penn (51) Stanton (66) Rotherham: Mullins (72) Marshall (78)



    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005