Skip to main content


16:54 9th April 2011

Morecambe 2-1 Burton Albion

Another potentially damaging awayday defeat means that Albion are still far from sure of playing League 2 football next season as they slipped to a 2-1 defeat at Morecambe.

Jacques Maghoma's goal twelve minutes from time gave the Brewers hope that they could salvage something from the game but despite late pressure they were unable to snatch a point after watching Morecambe establish a two goal lead through defender Chris McCready and Danny Carlton by the half way point of the second half.

Richard Walker was the surprise inclusion in the starting line-up for the first ever visit to Morecambe's brand new Globe Arena. After toying with the idea of going 4-5-1 for the battle of the League 2 strugglers Brewers boss Paul Peschisolido opted to stick with 4-4-2 recalling the former Aston Villa and Bristol Rovers striker for his first start since October to partner Sam Winnall, looking to add to his seven goals since joining the Brewers on loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

With injuries ruling out many of the manager's defensive options it was just a matter of Aaron Webster dropping into the left back slot to cover for the absence of Scott Malone. Jacques Maghoma returned to the left side of midfield and Adam Bolder, rested against Northampton on Tuesday, returned to the centre of midfield alongside skipper John McGrath.

Compared to the frenetic start that was witnessed in the game against Northampton on Tuesday the game started at quite a sedate pace. With both sides in the lower reaches of the table both defences were under pressure to perform and Will Haining gave the home fans a worried moment in the 6th minute when he attempted to chest Andy Corbett's cross back to his own keeper with Barry Roche just about catching the ball as Rich Walker stretched to try and intercept.

However a tepid start turned horribly wrong for Albion in the 14th minute. Kevan Hurst's corner was only half cleared and Albion were under pressure. Phil Jevon's cross was deep to the back post but the striker managed to pick out James Spencer and his low centre picked out defender Chris McCREADY who had the simple task of tapping home. It was another simple goal conceded from a side who scored from their first real foray forwards.

Things could have got worse for the Brewers in the 23rd minute. James Spencer was tripped just outside the box and full back Will Haining hit a thunderous free kick that got through the wall but not past Adam Legzdins who then had to watch as Garry Hunter lashed the loose ball wide of the post.

Frustratingly the gaem descended into a scrappy affair. Burton looked up until the final third and it was summed up by Walker's ambitious effort on the half hour mark that sailed well off target after Sam Winnall's challenge set the ball up nicely for him.

Thirty four minutes in and a half chance came for Morecambe to double their advantage but Spencer could not quite connect with Kevan Hurst's cross. Albion broke away and John McGrath ended a quick move with a wayward left foot shot that failed to trouble Barry Roche in the Shrimps goal.

Roche and Hunter almost contrived to gift Albion an equaliser in the 36th minute. The keeper's low clearance was hit back towards him by his team mate but he failed to see Winnall lurking on the edge of the area but the Wolves youngster delayed his shot too long, surprised to get the opportunity, and allowed the Shrimps defence to get back and crowd him out.

Albion carved out another half chance on forty minutes when another decent cross from Corbett found Walker in the centre but he could not quite guide his glancing header onto the target.

McCready went into the referee's book for a second time soon after for a foul on Maghoma just outside the area but Winnall's free kick into the middle was cleared all too easily. Winnall then tried a chip from outside the area after some good link up play with Walker but failed to get either the height or direction to seriously trouble Roche.

Yet again the half finished with Albion behind without having seriously tested the opposition goalkeeper and having conceded a somewhat soft goal to leave themselves an uphill task in the second period.

Half time: Morecambe 1-0 Burton Albion

Adam Legzdins came to the resuce of the Brewers less than ninety seconds into the second half. Darren Moore appeared to be hauled to the ground as he tried to get a clearance on Phil Jevon's centre but James Spencer played on and got his shot in with Albion's stopper doing well to get the ball wide for a corner.

Winnall tested Roche with a curling free kick which the giant keeper had to dive to his left to save and as Albion kept up the pressure it was Winnall again, throwing himself in amongst the boots to try and head in when Bolder retrieved Webster's cross from beyond the back post.

The game suddenly became very stretched and one moment it was Aaron Webster heading away a dangerous Kevan Hurst cross and the next it was Adam Bolder going close from Maghoma's wicked ball in from the left.

Albion made a change with skipper John McGrath brought off and Lewis Young, recalled from his Forest Green loan spell, brought on, Russell Penn switching to the middle .

Experienced midfielder Stewart Drummond tried his luck with a thirty yard effort but Legdzins got his body behind the ball and clung on safely.

Maghoma squandered Albion's best chance so far in the 66th minute. Good link play with Walker gave him the chance to shoot from the edge of the area but he blazed over the bar.

Albion made their second change with Walker taken off and replaced by Calvin Zola but before he could have an impact the Brewers were two down.

The difference in quality and and confidence was apparent as Morecambe doubled their lead.. Darren Moore hesitated on the edge of his own penalty area and the ball fell for Danny CARLTON, only on the pitch for seven minutes to smash home first time into the bottom corner. The striker who has always seemed to play well against the Brewers almost got a second for himself when Parkes tried to lob back to Legzdins inside his own box with the striker nipping in and trying to jab the ball in only to put it into Legzdins hands.

Haining had another go from a free kick in the 73rd minute and again, as in the first half, it was down to Legzdins to keep out a thunderous effort, this time conceding a corner for his troubles.

The goal Albion needed so desperately came in the 78th minute. Neat approach play seemed to be going nowhere until Bolder played a short pass into the path of Jacques MAGHOMA and the midfielder kept his cool to take a touch and slide the ball under Roche and inside the fat post.

Moments later and Zola almost had the scores level. Another surging run from Maghoma ended with the ball at Webster's feet. His cross was onto the head of the on loan Crewe striker but his header just dropped the wrong side of the post.

It was all set for a rousing last ten minutes or so as Albion went in search of a precious equaliser but it almost ended in disaster as Morecambe went close to a third. There was confusion aplenty as the ball bobbled on the edge of Albion's box and Legzdins and his defence got in a mess but Carlton this time could only chip way over the crossbar.

Albion threw themselves forward in the five minutes of stoppage time and twice they came close to scoring. Corbett was inches away from connecting with Webster's cross as it was hacked clear by Drummond and Winnall saw an overhead kick drop just wide of the post.

It was not enough and Albion are still looking over their shoulders at the bottom two as poor away form continues to threaten their Football League status.

MORECAMBE: Roche; Holdsworth (Shuker, 90), Hunter, Jevons, Spencer (Carlton, 60), McCready, Drummond, Hurst (Brown, 81), Parrish, Cowperthwaite, Haining. Substitutes: Bentley, Wraighte, Aley, Walker,

ALBION: Legzdins; Corbett, Moore, Parkes, Webster; Penn, Bolder, McGrath (Young, 56), Maghoma; Walker (Zola, 67), Winnall. Substitutes: Poole, James, Phillips, Pearson, Dyer, Zola.

Referee: Mr. K.G.Evans (Greater Manchester)

Goals: Morecambe - McCready (14), Carlton (67); Albion - Maghoma (78)

Attendance: 1,877 (228 away)

    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005