Skip to main content


16:57 23rd April 2011

Aldershot Town 1-2 Burton Albion

Calvin Zola's second League goal for the Brewers proved to enough to clinch a massive three points and move the Brewers up to seventeenth in the League 2 table. Aaron Webster had given Albion a twelfth minute lead only for Damien Spencer to equalise for the Shots.

The Crewe striker latched onto Jacques Maghoma's pass and fired beyond Jamie Young before the Shots keeper saved a late penalty from Greg Pearson. In the end it mattered not that the striker missed his spot kick as Albion hung on for just their third away victory of the campaign and what a victory it might prove to be.

Brewers boss Paul Peschisolido looked for a good start to the busy Easter period by naming an unchanged side for the visit to Hampshire to take on Aldershot Town. The hosts were on the back of a six game unbeaten run but pretty much out of the running for a play-off spot despite improved form since the arrival of Dean Holdsworth as manager.

The Brewers were looking for the win that would effectively guarantee themselves League 2 football for next season and after two encouraging results against Cheltenham and Bradford their was hope that the unbeaten run could be sustained ahead of Monday's home game with promotion chasing Torquay United.

Adam Bolder was missing from the Burton substitutes bench after picking up a knock in training. The midfielder aggravated the shoulder that he injured last August in training meaning a lay-off of about a week.

Albion spent pretty much all of the first six minutes camped inside the Aldershot half without seriously testing the home defence but the Shots showed their threat in the eighth minute as Anthony Straker burst forward and found Peter Vincenti in the box but the tall striker was squeezed out of it before he could get a shot away.

The Brewers were given a great chance to open the scoring in the eleventh minute when they won a free kick just outside the box. John McGrath seemed to have lost control before being felled by Darren Jones but referee Gavin Ward gave the free kick. Greg Pearson, surprisingly stepped up to take it and stung the palms of Young in the Aldershot goal with Jimmy Phillips unable to turn home the rebound. The ball did go for a corner however and when McGrath swung in the corner the ball came out perfectly for Aaron WEBSTER to sidefoot home his thirteenth goal of the season.

Calvin Zola then saw a volleyed effort get the faintest of deflections with the Aldershot defence still looking shaky and with Albion lloking to capitalise although the hosts cleared their lines more effectively this time from McGrath's flag kick.

the on loan striker did well again in the 23rd minute charging down a clearance and setting up Jimmy Phillips for a shot that was deflected out for another corner.

The Shots however got themselves level in the 26th minute. Striker Damien SPENCER won a battle with Darren Moore down the left and cut into the box before firing a low shot beyond Legzdins at his near post.

Luke Guttridge then found himself in the referee's book for bringing down Jacques Maghoma but McGrath could not put the free kick on target firing well over the bar from 25 yards out.

Phillips was then penalised for a foul just outside his own penalty area but Zola was back to head away the danger from a poor Aldershot free kick. Down at the other end, Pearson did well enough in the 38th minute to twist and turn inside the box and create a shooting opportunity for himself but he drove a low shot across goal. Moments later and it was Maghoma, picking up a pass from Webster who drove into the box and cut inside but his shot was high over the crossbar.

Pearson was close again in the closing moments of the half when Maghoma and Webster set him up at the near post but a good turn left a loose ball that keeper Young got to just before Pearson with the keeper staying down injured from claiming the ball bravely at the feet of the striker.

The home side had one last chance in stoppage time at the end of the first half but after picking up a loose ball twenty yards out Danny Hylton's run and cross drifted harmlessly wide of the far post with Spencer lurking in search of his second goal of the game.

Half time: Aldershot Town 1-1 Burton Albion

Russell Penn took just six second half minutes to go into the book for a foul on Guttridge on the half way line but the second half was still waiting for its first real moment of note as the heat made fast flowing football difficult. The only thing to lift the early boredom were wayward shots from Clayton Fortune and John Halls who both sent efforts way over the crossbar.

Burton made their first change ten minutes into the second period with Scott Malone replacing Jimmy Phillips and going straight onto the left side of midfield with Jacques Maghoma switching to the right.

The young Wolves full back was almost instantly in the action with a driving run into the penalty area before delivering a low cross to the far post that was just too far ahead of Zola at the far post.

Burton were close again in the 63rd minute as Maghoma was bundled over twenty five yards form goal. Webster took the free kick this time but could only put his low curling effort into the side netting.

It was a rather lacklustre and frustrating contest with a distainct lack of quality from either side as the heat began to take it its toll. The hosts took the opportunity to make a change while Tony James received treatment with goalscorer Spencer replaced by livewire forward Jermaine McGlashan.

It was Burton's Calvin ZOLA who showed his goalscoring instincts to put the Brewers back in front on 74 minutes. Jagcques Maghoma burst past his man and played a lovely pass in for the frontman to run onto and he finished clinically past Young to restore Albion's lead. The rejuvenated striker almost grabbed a second moments later, latching onto a raking pass from Malone and forcing a good save from Young at his near post.

With a good afternoon's work done Zola was taken off with ten minutes to go to allow Richard Walker to come on. The plan clearly being to get Walker to hold the ball up in attack for the remainder of the game.

Aldershot had already introduced Tim Sills, a striker who has done well against Albion in the past, before Wade Small, scorer of the two goals for the Shots at the Pirelli Stadium, was brought on with nine minutes to go. Small immediately made a nuisance of himself in the box with the ball eventually coming out to Hylton who smashed his effort straight at Legzdins who saved at the second attempt.

Albion had a chance to put the game to bed in the 89th minute when Pearson and Walker combined to send Maghoma into the area and he was unceremoniously upended by Darren Jones. Pearson put the penalty to the keeper's left hand side but Young went the right way and kept the ball out.

It meant a nervy end for the Brewershanging on for a precious three points to move themselves up the League 2 table.

ALDERSHOT: Young, Herd, Gutteridge, Jones, Straker, Hylton, Spencer, Fortune, Halls, Vincenti, Rodman. Substitutes: Harding, Morris, McGlashan, Small, Bergqvist, Sills, Jaimez-Ruiz.

ALBION: Legzdins; Corbett, James, Moore, Webster; Phillips (Malone, 55), Penn, McGrath, Maghoma; Pearson. Zola. Substitutes: Poole, Walker, Young, Preen, Dyer, Parkes, Malone.

Referee: Mr. G.Ward (Surrey)

GOALS: Aldershot - Spencer (26); Albion - Webster (12), Zola (74)

Attendance: 2,308 (124 away)

    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005