Skip to main content


16:57 28th August 2010

Cheltenham Town 2-1 Brewers

The Brewers suffered their first League defeat of the season at the Abbey Business Stadium after conceeding two goals late on in the second half. A superb strike from Shaun Harrad had put the Brewers one up before the break, and they continued to control the game until the 80th minute when Wesley Thomas headed the Robins level. And two minutes later the turnaround was complete when Josh Low also scored with his head following a good cross from substitute Shaun Jeffers.

It will have been a result to frustrate Paul Peschisolido as his side looked good for all three points going into the final ten minutes. A major concern for the Brewers boss would also be a serious looking injury to Adam Bolder who was stretchered off at the end of the first half with what appeared to be a shoulder injury.

Paul Peschisolido elected for a change of formation for the Brewers visit to the west country, making two changes from the 3-2 victory over Morecambe a week ago. One of these was enforced with Aaron Webster dropping to left back in place of the injured Paul Boertien. John McGrath returned to partner Adam Bolder in central midfield and Jacques Maghoma was given his first chance in the starting eleven in place of Greg Pearson.

It looked likely to be a 4-2-3-1 formation with Russell Penn dropping into the hole just behind Shaun Harrad, operating as the lone front man.

Former Brewers loanee Robin Shroot started on the bench for Mark Yates' side. It was the first encounter with the Robins since last season's memorable 5-6 defeat at the Pirelli Stadium, in which a Michael Pook hat trick helped Cheltenham to an incredible victory, having been trailing 5-3 with only minutes remaining.

Russell Penn, starting in his preferred central role, burst through on goal in the third minute, following good work from Maghoma in midfield. Penn surged past two men before seeing his shot deflected wide for a corner.

Wesley Thomas got away the host's first effort on goal two minute later. He wriggled past Aaron Webster on the left wing and struck his shot low to the near post, but he lacked the power on the ball to trouble Legzdins.

Fifteen minutes into the match and Jacques Maghoma fizzed a 20 yard shot wide of the post after Lewis Young's initial effort had been charged down. Burton were enjoying more of the possession in the opening stages with the trio of Maghoma, Penn and Young looking lively in behind Harrad.

The Robins were forced into a change in the 17th minute when Martin Riley limped off to be replaced by David Bird.

There were more encouraging signs for the Brewers with plenty of runs at the Robins defence from the attacking midfield trio. But Cheltenham had a couple of chances of their won from successive corners in the 27th minute. Firstly Josh Low saw his header deflected wide and then Steve Elliott missed the target from his unmarked header from the following corner.

Cheltenham were beginning to put more pressure on the Brewers defence and had a couple of moments of real danger just after the half hour mark as Burton failed to clear their lines.

The Brewers took the lead almost out of nothing in the 37th minute. Bolder's ball up the line was misjudged by Danny Andrew who allowed it over his head for Harrad. Harrad was still closely attended by Steve Elliott but he turned him inside out and unleashed a powerful effort from 16 yards out on the angle which whistled through Scott Brown in the Robins goal.

Corbett floated the ball up the line five minutes later for Lewis Young to race onto, but the winger was brought down by Andrew, resulting in a yellow card for the left back. McGrath whipped across the freekick and Aaron Webster glanced the ball dangerously across goal, but out for a goal kick.

There were concerns for the Brewers just before the break as Adam Bolder went down following a tussle with Wesley Thomas. A shoulder injury appeared to be the cause but Bolder had to be stretchered from the field. Jimmy Phillips came on in his place.

Half time: Cheltenham Town 1-1 Burton Albion

There were no further changes at the break and Cheltenham came out the brightest, putting pressure in the Brewers defence straight away. Jacques Maghoma got away with one surging run from box to box but his ball across was over hit for Harrad. Cheltenham were back on the attack though shortly after and almost had a sight on goal through Wesley Thomas.

Moore was booked in the 55th minute after brigning down Thomas on the edge of the area. Pook lined up the freekick and brought an excellent save out of Legzdins, the keeper tipping the ball wide low down to his left.

Lewis Young broke away from a Cheltenham corner in the 58th minute with pace to burn and squared the ball across fror Russelll Penn, but Penn tried to turn inside his man and the attacking momemtum was lost, Harrad eventually shooting wide under pressure from two defenders. Yates made a double switch after the hour mark, bringing on Shaun Jeffers and JJ Melligan in place of Jeff Goulding and Brian Smikle.

Cheltenham kept up good spells of pressure in the second half but as has often been the case this season, the Brewers defence coped well, limiting the Robins to few chances of note. Meanwhile, Harrad continued to work hard in his lone role up front and Penn and Young looked a constant threat on the break.

The best chance for Cheltenham came in the 76th minute. Jeffers crossed from the right byline for Thomas who should have scored with his header, but put it over the bar from a central position inside the six yard box.

The same duo combined again in the 80th minute, and this time Thomas pulled the Robins level, heading in unmarked after Jeffers' cross from the left.

And Cheltenham were ahead two minutes later. Jeffer again the provider, this time on the breakaway Jeffers crossed from the right for Josh Low to nod in at the far post. As in the case of Cheltenham's first goal, questions sould be raised over the Brewers' marking.

Richard Walker was immedietly brought on in place of Lewis Young as Burton looked to rescue something from the match which they had controlled for so long. The Brewers had a couple of attempts on goal in the closing stages through Jacques Maghoma and Aaron Webster, but could not salvage a point from the match.

Final Score: Cheltenham Town 2-1 Burton Albion

Attendance: 3221 (372 away)

Scorers: Burton: Harrad (37) Cheltenham: Thomas (80) Low (82)

Booked: Cheltenham: Andrew Burton: Moore

Referee: Mr R. East



    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005