Skip to main content


16:53 4th September 2010

Brewers 3 - 0 Hereford United

Richard Walker's first goal of the season set up a comfortable victory for the Brewers at the Pirelli Stadium. A further strike by Shaun Harrad before the break, and Russell Penn's deflected long range effort 49 seconds into the second half wrapped up the points for Paul Peschisolido's men.

The Brewers were rarely threatened by Hereford with Adam Legzdins seeing little of the ball. It will have been the performance of Walker to catch the eye though. The former Bristol Rovers man was a constant danger with his flick ons and hold up play, linking up well with Harrad. It could have been more for Walker and the Brewers, the striker saw a header well saved in the first half and struck the post midway through the second period.

There were concerns for Peschisolido however, both Nathan Stanton and Darren Moore left the field with injuries. Moore causing particular concern after colliding heavily with the advertising hoardings.

Brewers boss Paul Peschisolido handed a first start of the season to Richard Walker who would partner Shaun Harrad in attack. Greg Pearson, who has picked up a slight groin strain in the week remained on the bench.

There were plenty of familiar faces lining up against each other. Former Brewers loanee O'Neil Thompson began in defence for Hereford and Lewis Young, who had a spell at the Bulls last season started on the right for the Brewers. Last season's match winner, and former Hereford captain, Tony James started from the bench for Burton Albion.

Prior to kick off, Aaron Webster was handed a special presentation to mark his 500th appearance for the Brewers.

The opening ten minutes produced little in the way of chances on goal. The Brewers had lined up in a 4-4-2 formation with Jacques Maghoma operating from the left of midfield. The first hint of an opportunity came for the Brewers when Maghoma worked his way to the byline before clipping over a cross, only for Bulls keeper Adam Bartlett to gather the ball comfortably.

Four minutes later and Bartlett was given a more serious test when Shaun Harrad fired in a dipping drive from 25 yards. Bartlett stretched well to tip the goalbound effort over the bar. The keeper then was on hand to gather in Darren Moore's looping header from the following corner.

There was an early worry for Peschisolido when Nathan Stanton went down following a challenge on Joe Colbeck. Stanton looked to be holdiing his right hamstring and was unable to continue. Former Hereford skipper Tony James took to the field in his place.

Richard Walker had a great chance at the near post 22 minutes in. Webster whipped in a low cross from the left but the ball struck the striker's standing leg and rebounded away to safety. Walker's general hold up play and flick ons were working well for the Brewers though, the former Bristol Rovers man looking to justify his selcetion.

And Walker did just that in the 27th minute when he made it 1-0 to the Brewers. The striker turned well in the box to fire low past Bartlett following McGrath's freekick into the box.

And it was 2-0 four minutes later when Shaun Harrad broke the offside trap to get one on one with Bartlett, Harrad making no mistake with the finish. A lot of the credit for the goal would go to Aaron Webster after his superb ball over the top for Harrad.

Adam Legzdins was called into action in the 34th minute, tipping over new signing Amadou Rabihou's curler from 18 yards. The same player then volleyed over a minute later following the corner kick.

It could have been three for the Brewers and two for Walker in the 37th minute. After good approach play from McGrath, Corbett and Walker, it was Shaun Harrad who fired a stinging effort on goal. The ball was spilled by Bartlett straight onto the head of Walker but Bartlett was in position to divert the ball away.

Half time: Burton Albion 2-0 Hereford United

Simon Davey brought on Dominik Werling for O'Neil Thompson at the break. Davey, who won on his last visit to the Pirelli Stadium with Darlington, will have had harsh words to say during the interval.

Burton moved further into the league 49 seconds into the second half. Russell Penn's shot from distance took a deflection off Richard Rose and looped past Bartlett in the Bull's net. Hereford's frustration was beginning to show and Mathieu Manset was booked shortly after for a lunge on McGrath.

As the game moved past the hour mark it was looking comfortable for the Brewers, the three goal cushion not being threatened by the visitors. Tony James and Darren Moore were also looking strong as a defensive partnership following the earlier loss of Stanton. There were also encouraging signs in attack with Shaun Harrad looking to feed off any knock downs or flick ons provided by Richard Walker.

A neatly worked freekick routine between Young and McGrath almost lead to a fourth for Burton. Young whipped the ball into the near post towards Webster, the ball particially cleared before Harrad hooked it back across to Walker, who with his back to goal and tightly marked could not get his shot away. Davey then brought on Stuart Fleetwood and Sam Malsom in place of Matthieu Manset and Amadou Rabihou.

Walker then almost added a stunning fourth goal for the Brewers. The striker turned his man on the edge of the area and curled his effort onto the inside of the post, Bartlett was left standing but the rebound shot across goal to Harrad who then forced a save out of the keeper with the follow up attempt. That was to be Harrad's final piece of the action as he was withdrawn for Greg Pearson in the 73rd minute.

Legzdins made a good save in the 76th minute, diving to his left to palm away Fleetwood's long range effort. Burton went straight down the other end, the attack culminating with Pearson's deflected strike comfortably saved by Bartlett.

Walker left the field to a rousing round of applause in the 78th minute. Former Liverpool youngster James Ellison was brought on for the final 12 minutes.

There were worrying scenes for Darren Moore in the 82nd minute. The defender crashed into the pitchside hoardings after challenging with Malsom. With the Brewers having used all three subs they would end the game with ten men, Aaron Webster slotted in at centre back with Maghoma dropping to left full back. Following the early loss of Stanton, Peschisolido could now have a problem at centre back for next week's match at Rotherham. Moore eventually left the pitch with his hand in bandages, to the applause of the home crowd.

Hereford continued to offer little in the way of an attacking threat as the game moved into the final few minutes.

Full time: Burton Albion 3 - 0 Hereford United

Attendance: 2556

Referee: Mr D. Sheldrake

Booked: Burton: McGrath (67) Hereford: Kovacs (16) Colbeck (17) Manset (49) Fleetwood (85)

Scorers: Burton Albion - Walker (27) Harrad (31) Penn (46)



    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005