Skip to main content


16:53 2th October 2010

Brewers 2-1 Stockport County

The Brewers got back to winning ways thanks to an Aaron Webster double, after going behind in the first half to Stockport County. It was a spirited performance by Burton who repsonded brilliantly to Paul Turnbull's first half header as they dominated the remainder of the game, carving out numerous opportunities.

Both goals came from corner kicks for the Brewers, with Webster scoring with his head on both occasions. It could have been more for the Brewers with County goalkeeper Matthew Glennon producing a string of top saves to deny Shaun Harrad a goal.

Nathan Stanton returned from injury to bolster the Brewers backline for the visit of Stockport County to the Pirelli Stadium. Brewers boss Paul Peschisolido had an almost injury free squad to select from, with long term absentee Richard Jackson the only player missing through injury. Tony James, now on loan at Hereford United for a month, also of course unavailable.

Stanton came in to the central defence to link up once more with Darren Moore as Andy Corbett dropped to the bench, Ryan Austin switching to right back. There was also a change on the left side of defence as Paul Boertien returned to the starting line up, with Aaron Webster pushing up to left midfield and Jimmy Phillips dropping to the bench.

In a further change to the starting eleven who drew 0-0 at Lincoln on Tuesday evening, Richard Walker came in for Greg Pearson to regain his role in attack alongside top scorer Shaun Harrad.

The first opportunity of the game came from the right foot of Jacques Maghoma, the former Spurs man flighting a 25 yard free kick over the bar in the 10th minute. It had been a relatively low key opening with Stockport probably just shading the possession stats.

Stockport's first attack of mention came in the 15th minute. Adam Griffin showed great skill to bring down a long ball and instantly whipped across a great left footed cross which Paul Boertien cleared for a corner.

The Brewers then created an opening of their own, Russell Penn's drive was palmed away by Matthew Glennon and Shaun Harrad clipped the follow up attempt just wide. Penn forced an easy save out of Glennon in the 17th minute, he mis hit his shot from the edge of the area following good work from Walker and Maghoma.

Penn was then at fault a minute later, his poor clearance in the area dropped staright to Jamie Proctor who should have done better than fire his effort straight at Legzdins. And as the game began to come alive Legzdins' clearance dropped to Harrad whose shot from 20 yards had the sting taken out of it by a deflection on its way through to Glennon.

But County did take the lead in the 19th minute. Jake Simpson attacked down the right and sent over a cross for Paul Turnbull to head into the top corner under little pressure in the penalty area.

There was almost a reply within five minutes for the Brewers. Aaron Webster's cross from the left was laid off by Walker and hammered into the near post by Harrad.

Legzdins was forced to scramble to clear an overhit backpass by Nathan Stanton shortly after, the central defender under pressure from George Donnelly in the County attack.

The Brewers almost levelled it up in the 35th minute. Webster sent in a dangerous corner from the left with the ball eventually dropping to Harrad after strong play from Moore, the striker produced a good save from Glennon and followed the shot up himself, Glennon again scrambling across his goalline to tip the ball wide for another corner.

Harrad almost pulled Burton level with a stunning 25 yard volley, just tipped over the bar by Glennon. The Brewers were enjoying most of the possession since Stockport's goal but couldn't create the breakthrough required. Aaron Webster struck the woodwork again for the Brewers in the 45th minute. Maghoma squared the ball across the edge of the area and Webster curled a beautifully crafted shot across goal which had Glennon rooted to the spot, the ball rebounding off the foot of the post.

Half time: Burton Albion 0 - 1 Stockport County

Two minutes into the second half and Turnbull almost grabbed his second headed goal of the game. Proctor crossed to the defensive midfielder who this time looped his header onto the roof of the net.

Harrad forced another great save out of Glennon in the 52nd minute. After a dominant spell of pressure Webster linked up well with Harrad who turned inside and curled his shot from the edge of the area, forcing Glennon to tip the goalbound effort over the bar.

Stockport had a couple of headed efforts off target through Proctor ten minutes into the second half as they looked to catch out the Brewers on the counter attack. But Burton then had a great chance when Walker played through Paul Boertien who had his shot blocked away by Danny Swailes. The game was really open with Burton committing men forward in search of the equalising goal.

Maghoma's burst through midfield was ended in synical fashion by Swailes, earning the Stockport captain a booking in the process. Glennon produced more heroics to tip away Webster's freekick, but the keeper could do nothing when the corner kick, taken by McGrath, went all the way through for WEBSTER to head the Brewers level. It was no less than Albion deserved, having responded wonderfully well to going behind.

Paul Peschisolido responded to the goal with a change, replacing Russell Penn with Keith Gilroy, making his first appearance of the season.

And the Brewers were ahead five minutes later, WEBSTER again with the headed goal from McGrath's corner. This time from the left, Austin rose to flick the ball on for Webster to meet at the far post and hammer home the header.

It could have been three for the Brewers in the 71st minute. Walker, McGrath and Webster were all involved in the superb build up before Boertien played in Walker, the striker failed to get a proper connection on his shot with Glennon able to comfortably save.

Paul Simpson needed to make a change and he brought on James Vincent and Tom Fisher for Greg Tansey and Jamie Proctor in the 72nd minute.

There was a flash of danger for the Brewers in the 81st minute. Donnelly beat Moore for pace down the right and whipped a cross across the face of goal, with no County player able to get the crucial touch.

Darren Moore was replaced by Andy Corbett in the 82nd minute, with Ryan Austin moving to centre back to partner Stanton. Adam Bolder was then brought on for Richard Walker five minutes later.

Maghoma had another chance for the Brewers as the game entered the 90th minute. He cut in from the left and shot across goal, just high of the far corner.

Full time: Burton Albion 2 - 1 Stockport County

Attendance: 3107

Scorers: Burton: Webster (63, 68) Stockport: Turnbull (19)

Referee: Mr K.A Woolmer

Booked: Stockport: Swailes (62)



    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005