Skip to main content


14:47 28th March 2012

AFC Wimbledon 4-0 Burton Albion

Things go from bad to worse for the Brewers as they continued their depressing run with a dismal 4-0 defeat to AFC Wimbledon. Poor defending was at the root of Albion's problems as the home side found it all too easy to carve Albion open and run out comfortable winners albeit with two of the goals coming in stoppage time at the end of the ninety minutes. 4-0 may have been slightly harsh but there was no doubt that the home side deserved their win. Albion on this form are undoubtedly in trouble after eight straight losses and just seven points clear of danger..

Adam Bolder returned to the heart of midfield following his two match suspension and there was a debut for loan signing Seanan Clucas after ther Northern Ireland Under-21 international joined up with the Brewers on Thursday afternoon. Adam Legzdins was unable to play after a hip injury ruled him out meaning a return to the side for fellow Derby County loanee Ross Atkins. Otherwise it was an unchanged side although Jacques Maghoma moved from the centre of midfield to a wide role to accommodate the two changes. Cleveland Taylor dropped to the bench but there was no place in the matchday squad for Jack Dyer.

It was a game between one of the leakiest home defences and the worst away defence in League 2 this season, both sides having conceded 37 goals in their respective home and away fixtures.

Albion made a bright start and were perhaps unfortunate not to be ahead after just thirty seconds. The ball fell kindly for Bolder and he let fly from 25 yards with a dipping volley that crashed against the crossbar with keeper Seb Brown beaten.

Within a minute there was danger at the other end as Jack Midson beat the offside trap and from the edge of the area volleyed across Ross Atkins and wide of the far post.

After a promising start Albion found themselves behind in just the ninth minute. As Wimbledon attacked down the left the Brewers defence got dragged across and when the ball was played square by George Moncur to Luke MOORE he had far too much time to pick his spot and drill a low shot beyond Atkins into the goal.

Albion began to press for an equaliser and both Pearson and Bolder saw efforts blocked before Wimbledon had a chance to double their advantage, Moore got the ball into the path of Midson and the striker this time brought a save out of Atkins, palming the ball wide of the post for a corner.

Wimbledon were quick to get the ball forward and both Christian Jolley and Moncur were allowed to get round the edge of the box before getting shots away. Fortunately for Albion the former scuffed his shot and the latter was easy for Atkins to gather inside his six yard box.

Jolley continued to pose a threat coming deep from midfield and although one ambitious effort flew high and wide into the gardens behind the ground a volley shortly after from the edge of the area went not that far wide as Albion found themselves under pressure again.

Justin Richards had a shooting opportunity on 34 minutes but he was unable to keep his effort down as it flew over the bar.

After a stoppage for an injury to Tony James, Albion had the next chance that came, a positive run from Lionel Ainsworth down the right delivering a cross that Maghoma could not quite steer onto the target.

Albion were not getting the run of the ball either, epitomised when Greg Pearson tried to cut the ball back to Richards in a dangerous position with the ball taking a deflection that took it straight into the arms of Brown.

Right on half time Adam Bolder picked up a yellow card, presumably for dissent although nobody was quite sure what the referee had blown for.

Half-time: AFC Wimbledon 1-0 Burton Albion

A lively start to the second half saw Albion on the attack and only a brave block by Sam Hatton denied Seanan Clucas as he fired on goal from just inside the penalty area from a corner that came out to him.

Ainsworth then took aim in the 54th minute but was only able to find a tree behind the low stand. Wimbledon hit back with a set piece move, defender Pim Balkestein getting onto the end of Jolley's free kick but under pressure not able to get his effort on target.

Albion made their first change on 58 minutes with Jimmy Phillips coming on in place of Lionel Ainsworth, a like for like substitution with the Brewers looking for a spark from the former Stoke youngster.

Wimbledon threatened again on the hour mark as Jolley began a move down the right that ended with Moncur forcing a good save from Atkins low to his right.

The home side made their first change in the 64th minute with tricky winger Billy Knott replaced by Ricky Wellard and at the same time Clucas left the field to be replaced by Chris Palmer. The substitute was in the action straight away taking an Albion free kick that was only half cleared and Phillips was almost a lucky beneficiary as a clearance rebounded off him and flew over the crossbar with Brown beaten.

Substitute Byron Harrison saw an effort blocked but after breaking from an Albion attack the Wimbledon attack made no mistake the next time they ran at the Brewers back line. Harrison raced towards goal and played in the totally unmarked Midson. He cut back inside and saw his shot blocked but the ball came out to MONCUR who rifled the ball back across the keeper and into the far corner.

Albion quickly sent on Adi Yussuf in place of Greg Pearson but it was at the other end that another chance came for the home side as Midson again found space on the right and drilled a low shot just wide of the far post.

Phillips had a chance on the edge of the area as a loose ball fell to him but symptomatic of Albion's malaise his low effort went harmlessly wide of the far post.

Corbett also fired over with an ambitious volley from the edge of the area and Ryan Austin was closer than anyone with a towering header at the back post that Brown dropped onto at his near post from Palmer's corner.

It was the home side who ended the game on top as HARRISON threatened to make it three with a glancing header and a rasping shot from a corner but the former Stevenage man made no mistake in the first minute of stoppage time as he capitalised on Albion's inability to clear their lines from the reuslting corner, chesting the ball over the line to add to Albion's misery.

If the Brewers thought that was bad enough a fourth goal came the way of the home side as a routine ball into the box found Sammy MOORE in space and he was able to coolly lob the ball over Atkins into the far corner of the net.

WIMBLEDON: Brown, Hatton, Gwillim, S.Moore, Mitchel-King, Balkestein, Jolley, Moncur, Midson, L.Moore, Knott. Substitutes: Johnson, Turner, Harrison, Kiernan, Wellard.

ALBION: Atkins; Corbett, James, Austin, Webster; Ainsworth, Bolder, Clucas, Maghoma; Richards, Pearson. Substitutes: Palmer, Yussuf, Taylor, Phillips, Ada.

Referee: Mr. R.Lewis (Shropshire)

Attendance: 3,819 (204 away)

GOALS: Wimbledon - L.Moore (9), Moncur (74), Harrison (90+1), S.Moore (90+3)

    Data provided by Press Association


    Burton Albion moved into the £7million Pirelli Stadium in 2005