Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

29 March 2024 Venue DW Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports


29 March 2024

SKIPPER John Brayford led by example scoring the equaliser as Albion secured a much-needed point on the road at Wigan Athletic.

With Albion trailing to Sam Hughes’ unfortunate own goal in the dying moments of the first half, Brayford epitomised a gritty Albion performance to seize on a loose ball in the Wigan six-yard box amidst a scramble and ensure he was the one to get there first and bring the Brewers back level.

Albion bossed large periods of the second half but ultimately could not find an all-important second goal which would have brought a welcome victory.

Max Crocombe came back into the side after international duty with New Zealand replacing Jamal Blackman in goal whilst there were more changes at the back as Hughes made a first start since January having come through his substitute appearance last week without issue. Ryan Sweeney was absent due to a family issue meaning a recall for Jasper Moon after his own injury absence. Midfield saw a change with Ciaran Gilligan reinstated in midfield at the expense of Deji Oshilaja who dropped to the bench.

A bright start saw Albion almost capitalise on some loose defending as Mason Bennett found himself with time and space, just inside the box, to get a low shot away that went just wide of the far upright.

Although Wigan began to settle into the game more it was Albion who created a great chance on 21 minutes when Steve Seddon escaped away down the left and lofted over a cross that was just too high for Hugill to head but which came through to Bennett who could not keep his effort down on the stretch.

Wigan began to go a little more direct, looking for the runs of Stephen Humphrys and the striker almost got in on the half hour mark, but the recovering Moon did just enough to enable Crocombe to come out and claim.

Bennett again looked to be Albion’s best chance for a goal as Tom Hamer’s first long throw of the afternoon began to unsettle the home defence but Sam Tickle in the Wigan goal unconvincingly scrambled Bennett’s shot away with Hugill looking to pounce.

Wigan built a period of pressure as half time loomed and Crocombe produced an excellent save to deny Scott Smith from 25 yards through a sea of yellow shirts rushing out to block.

The pressure eventually paid off with a couple of minutes to the break when Smith managed to dig out a cross that looped over Crocombe and under pressure from Charlie Kelman, HUGHES could only divert the ball into his own goal.


Albion were the width of the post away from an immediate equaliser at the start of the second half. Another long throw wasn’t properly dealt with by the home defence and the ball eventually came to Hugill, on the penalty spot fashioning a volley that came back off the inside of the post.

Albion eventually got a stroke of luck on 54 minutes when Powell’s corner saw Hughes’ header blocked on the line and in the scramble in the six-yard box it was BRAYFORD who got there first to put the ball over the line.

Helm burst through the middle on 64 minutes but with options either side of him opted for the shot which ended up straight at Tickle.

Powell’s free kick midway through the half found Hughes’ head and a static Wigan defence allowed Seddon to steal in, only to be foiled by a sprawling block from Tickle.

Wigan, on a rare foray forward almost snatched the lead back when Scott Smith dinked a cross to the back post, but Thelo Aasgard headed the ball onto the crossbar via a crucial deflection off Hughes.

Albion made a change with a little over ten minutes to go as Bennett, after an industrious afternoon, was replaced by Ola-Adebomi.

With the game there for the talking by either side in the last ten minutes there was going to be more chances and substitute Luke Chambers forced another good save from Crocombe away to his left.

With time ebbing away Oshilaja and Antwoine Hackford were thrown on for more attacking intent, Helm and Hugill making way for what remained of the game.

Crocombe had to produce once again when Aasgard fired in a free kick in added time and Albion got a stroke of luck when substitute Martial Godo drilled a ball through the six yard box with nobody able to convert for the Latics and ensureing Albion finished with a hard-earned but well deserved point.

ALBION: Crocombe; Hughes, Brayford, Moon; Hamer, Gilligan, Helm (Oshilaja, 88), Powell, Seddon; Bennett (Ola-Adebomi, 79), Hugill (Hackford, 88).

Substitutes: Blackman, Kamwa, Bola, Nsiala.

GOALS: WIGAN – S.Hughes (43 own goal) ; ALBION – Brayford (54)

Referee: Darren Drysdale

Advertisement block

Ticket News


27 March 2024

TICKETS for our Good Friday away game at Wigan Athletic go off sale at the Pirelli Stadium at 4pm tomorrow.

It's a 3pm kick off at the DW Stadium on Friday and anyone making a late decision to travel can pay on the day.

Go to windows 1-3 at the main ticket office where tickets can be bought - cash only.

Full ticket prices and further details HERE


Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account