Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Burton Albion 1 - 3 Leicester City

1 August 2012

Pre season action from the Pirelli Stadium

Burton Albion welcomed Championship side Leicester City to the Pirelli Stadium for a pre-season friendly, with competitive action for the Brewers just 10 days away. World Cup final referee Howard Webb took charge of the match in his first game at the Pirelli Stadium since Burton Albion's 0-0 draw with Manchester United in the 2006 FA Cup Third Round.

The Foxes ended up running out 3-1 winners but only thanks to two goals late on as their extra fitness and quality eventually paid dividends. Jeffrey Schlupp gave the City the lead just before the half hour mark obly for Robbie Weir to equalise from the penalty spot less than two minutes into the second half.

Against a strong looking Leicester City side Gary Rowett opted for just Dele Adebola from his triallists to start the game. However the fans would be most grateful to see young striker Billy Kee, a former Leicester player, back in the starting line-up for his first pre-season runout.
On the bench were a couple of new triallists. Barry Fuller, a right back recently released by Gillingham was joined by Greg McDemott, son of former Liverpool and Newcastle legend Terry, who like his father is a box to box midfielder.

Billy Kee was quickly into the action but more in defensive mode with a vital clearing header at the near post and as Leicester continued the early pressure Jeffrey Schlupp blasted a shot just over the bar as the Brewers tried to clear their lines.

The Foxes were forced into an early substitution as Sean St Ledger challenged for the ball with Robbie Weir and ended up hobbling off to be replaced by youngster Liam Moore.

Another attack, this time with Lee Peltier crossing in from the right had Albion's defence at full stretch and Ross Atkins was mightily relieved to watch Jermaine Beckford's glancing header go just wide of his right hand upright.

Albion's first real chance came from a set piece on 16 minutes. Kee was bundled to the ground twenty five yards from goal and in the end it was Damien McCrory who struck the free kick but he could not quite clear the defensive wall.

Lee Bell was next to have a chance as Kee was again sent to the ground but his driven free kick failed to trouble Kasper Schmeichel in the Leicester goal.

Having seemingly weathered the storm from the Championship side the Brewers found themselves a goal down on 28 minutes. A precise pass inside the full back from Danny Drinkwater allowed Jeffrey SCHLUPP to take a touch before drilling a low fifteen yard effort across Atkins and into the far corner of the net.

The visitors almost doubled their advantage on 38 minutes when a free kick 25 yards out was left for Paul Gallagher who got the ball over the wall with Atkins able to watch it go safely wide of his post.

There was another scare for the Brewers on 40 minutes. Schlupp caused problems down the left again and although his cross failed to find a team mate in the centre the ball was retrieved for Neil Danns to hit a shot from outside the box that looped up off Zander Diamond and back off the post with the Brewers eventually able to clear their lines.

Robbie Weir went closest for the Brewers a minute before the break. Damien McCrory did well to retain possession and find his colleague but after a quick burst forward the midfielder's effort from 25 yards flew narrowly over the crossbar.

Half time: Burton Albion 0-1 Leicester City

It was a hectic start to the second as Albion rang the changes and also scored an equaliser inside the first ninety seconds of the half.

The Brewers made three changes as both Billy Kee and Dele Adebola made way with Adi Yussuf and Chris Palmer coming on, Jacques Maghoma switching to a more central role to accommodate Palmer on the left. There was also a first view of Barry Fuller at right back as he replaced Andy Corbett.

Straight from the kick off Robbie WEIR burst into the box and was brought down by first half substitute Moore and the former Tranmere man picked himself up to confidently dispatch the resulting penalty beyond Schmeichel.

Leicester were stung into action and they began to stretch the Brewers defence again. A flowing move down the left resulted in a great chance for Drinkwater but he stabbed his shot wide of the post when he really ought to have hit the target.

The visitors continued to dominate the possession but with the Brewers seemingly looking a lot more resolute in defence this season they were quite often unable to apply the finishing touches to their moves as Albion harried and hustled them in the box.

Against the run of play Weir almost doubled his tally in the 68th minute. A good move saw Cleveland Taylor pick up the ball wide on the right and his pass inside found Weir making an excellent run into the box. Crucially the midfielder could not quite take the ball in his stride and although he managed to get his shot away in the end the delay was all that Schmeichel needed to make a good block at his near post.

Albion then made a double change for the last twenty minutes. Marcus Holness entered the action in place of Zander Diamond and young Greg McDermott replaced Lee Bell.

Yussuf was looking busy in attack against his former club but he wasted a good opportunity on 76 minutes as he fired high and wide from the edge of the box and some good link up play.

It was the Championship side who made their extra class tell in the 79th minute as they retook the lead. Paul Gallagher found room on the right for a pinpoint cross and it was Lloyd DYER who rose perfectly in the box to head down and beyond Atkins from six yards out.

Young midfielder Matt Palmer got another chance to shine for the final ten minutes as he was brought on in place of Maghoma and the Academy product showed some good touches while he was on the pitch.

Late on Gallagher and Dyer got themselves in a mess and presented a chance for Yussuf but he fired straight at Schmeichel.

It was a different story at the other end as the ball fell to the feet of Neil DANNS twenty yards out and his unerring effort found the top corner beyond the fingertips of Atkins.

Albion: Atkins; Corbett (Fuller, 46), Stanton, Diamond (Holness, 69) ,McCrory; Taylor, Weir, Bell (McDermott, 69), Maghoma (M.Palmer, 79); Adebola (Yussuf, 46), Kee (C.Palmer, 46). Substitutes: Lyness, Austin.
Leicester: Schmeichel, Peltier, Konchesky (Dyer, 46) ,Drinkwater, Morgan (De Laet, 62), St Ledger (Moore, 9), Gallagher, Danns, Beckford (Nugent, 46), Waghorn (Vardy, 46), Schlupp. Substitutes: Logan, James, King, Taft.
Referee: Mr. H.Webb

Goals: Burton - Weir (47 pen);  Leicester - Schlupp (28), Dyer (79), Danns (88)


Advertisement block