Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Ilkeston FC 3-2 Burton Albion

25 July 2012

Pre season from the New Manor Ground

The Brewers went down to a 3-2 defeat at the New Manor Ground thanks to a well taken brace from Jack Watts and a superb long range effort from Ryan Wilson. Jimmy Phillips had opened the scoring early on and triallist Brett Williams levelled in the second half to make it 2-2 byt Watt's strike two minutes later sealed victory for the hosts.

Burton Albion travelled to the New Manor Ground on a beautiful July evening to continue their pre-season preparations against Ilkeston FC. Dean Lyness started in goal for the Brewers behind a back four of Macus Holness, Zander Diamond, Nathan Stanton and Damien McCrory. Chris Palmer and Jimmy Phillips began on the right and left of midfield respectively with Robbie Weir and Jack Dyer in the centre. Triallist Brett Williams partnered Adi Yussuf in attack.

Ilkeston lined up with former Derby man Matt Richards in midfield who had a spell on trial with the Brewers last season.

The hosts began brightly with Damien McCrory immediately put under pressure from kick off with the Brewers eventually conceeding a corner kick when Holness turned the ball behind. Holness was again on hand to put the ball behind from the resulting corner with Ilkeston this time forcing a clear chance, Jack Watts picked up the ball and turned a shot on goal, forcing Lyness to beat the way away.

A minute later and the Brewers had a good chance of their own when Zander Diamond headed a freekick from deep flush against the cross bar from 10 yards.

It only took until the ninth minute for Albion to break the deadlock. Jack Dyer floated a dangerous freekick into the penalty which Ilkeston failed to clear properly. Jimmy PHILLIPS picked the ball up inside the left edge of the area and curled the ball past the outstrected Ashley Timms inside the far post.

Adi Yussuf could have doubled the lead for Burton in the 14th minute after good work in midfield for Phillips freed the striker in on goal. Yussuf drilled the ball low past Timms but just wide of the far post.

Ilkeston were soon back into the match through a Jack WATTS equaliser which Dean Lyness may have felt he should have saved at his near post. The goal came after a short spell of pressure from the home side and they could have taken the lead soon after when Gray Ricketts headed over the bar from 6 yards.

Burton had a number of half chances to retake the lead, Chris Palmer drilled wide from 25 yards before striking a freekick from a similar distance into the wall. Adi Yussuf also dragged a low range effort well wide of Timms' goal. Phillips capitalised on a mistake in the Ilkeston defence in the 30th minute, shooting on the run from 20 yards but slicing his effort off target.

But after Burton's spell of possession it was the hosts who went in front in the 35th minute, Ryan WILSON picked the ball up 30 yards from goal before picking his spot in the top corner and smashing the ball past Lyness.

Half time: Ilkeston FC 2-1 Burton Albion

Gary Rowett made just one change at the break, bringing on triallist Matt Patterson up front in place of Adi Yussuf. The hosts could have gone further ahead in the 48th minute when the ball broke to Dan Partridge inside the area but the Ilkeston right back smashed his shot well off target. Richards then shot over from 18 yards two minutes later as the home side continued to press after the break.

Phillips almost set Patterson clear in the 55th minute with a great ball from deep but the on trial striker was brought donw by Russell Cooke just outside the penalty area. Palmer laid off the freekick to Robbie Weir who sent his shot wide from 25 yards.

Phillips looked to add to his own tally just past the hour mark, picking the ball up in the centre circle before striding forwards and shooting into the arms of Timms from 25 yards.

Burton made four changes in the 62nd minute. Cleveland Taylor, Robbie Nielsen, Jacques Maghoma and Matty Palmer replaced Jimmy Phillips, Jack Dyer, Chris Palmer and Macus Harness.

And it was one of the subs who set up Brett WILLIAMS to grab the equaliser for Burton. Swinging a low ball across from the left for the on trial striker to slot home at the far post. Ilkeston were not behind for long when Jack WATTS picked up the ball on the right before cutting inside and beating Lyness with another superb long range finish.

With ten minutes remaining Matt Patterson took a blow to the face and was replaced soon after by youth team player Harry Austin.

Full time: Ilkeston FC 3-2 Burton Albion

Attendance: 317

Scorers: Burton - Phillips (9) Williams (64)  Ilkeston - Watts (17, 66) Wilson (35)

Referee: Mr J. Thornhill



Advertisement block