Brewers mascot runner up in Football League race
Billy Brewer finished a close second behind Yorkie the Lion in the Football League mascot raise to raise awareness of prostate cancer.
The York City FC mascot triumphed at the half furlong (approx. 100m) dash held at Doncaster race course, which saw 26 mascots from 23 clubs across England take on the race. The challenge was part of Prostate Cancer UK’s partnership with The Football League to raise awareness of prostate cancer – the most common cancer in men in the UK.
The competition was fearsome. Chasing Yorkie, in second place was Billy Brewer from Burton Albion FC, and Chaddy Owl from Oldham Athletic AFC secured third place. The trio were presented with medals by Sukhi Dale, Corporate Partnerships Manager at Prostate Cancer UK.
Sukhi said: “We would like to thank all the mascots who took part in today’s race. Each and every one made a sterling effort to cross the line first and help raise awareness of a disease affecting 250,000 men in the UK, in one of the charity’s more unconventional events this year.
“It’s not every day you see dozens of dogs, rams and monkeys bounding along a race course, but everyone entered the dash in exactly the right spirit. A special well done has to go to Yorkie the Lion, though, who now has the prestigious mantle of being this year’s Mascot Race winner.”
John Nagle, Head of Communications at The Football League, said: "Many congratulations to Yorkie the Lion for taking the Mascot Race title, and well done to all the mascots that came along to support our partnership with Prostate Cancer UK.
"It was a fantastic occasion and will hopefully help to raise awareness of prostate cancer amongst football and racing fans alike.”
The Mascot Race marks the beginning of a weekend of racing during which The Racing Post – which is also partnered with the charity - will dedicate The Prostate Cancer UK Charity Race in support of the charity on Saturday, and hold a 5k ‘Do it for Dad’ fun run on Sunday.
Prostate Cancer UK’s partnership with The Football League will run throughout the 2012/13 season, with the aim of raising funds for and awareness of the disease amongst the football community and the wider public.
The full results of the race are as follows:
1. Yorkie the Lion – York City FC
2. Billy Brewer – Burton Albion FC
3. Chaddy Owl – Oldham Athletic AFC
4. Mr Magpie – Notts County FC
5. Miller Bear – Rotherham United FC
6. Sky Blue Sam – Coventry City FC
7. Rammie – Derby County FC
8. Rover – Blackburn Rovers FC
9. Peter Burrow – Peterborough United FC
10. Ollie the Ox – Oxford United FC
11. Rover – Tranmere Rovers FC
12. Terry the Terrier – Huddersfield Town AFC
13. Mrs Magpie – Notts County FC
14. Lofty Junior – Bolton Wanderers FC
15. Pete The Eagle – Crystal Palace FC
16. Donny Dog – Doncaster Rovers FC
17. H’Angus the Monkey – Hartlepool United FC
18. Filbert Fox – Leicester City FC
19. Robin Hood – Nottingham Forest FC
20. Olivia - Oxford United FC
21. City Gent – Bradford City AFC
22. Kop Cat – Leeds United FC
23. Gully the Seagull – Brighton & Hove Albion FC
24. Donnie - Milton Keynes Dons FC
25. Mooie – Milton Keynes Dons FC
26. Captain Blade – Sheffield United FC