Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 04/09/2012

4 September 2012

Match Reports

Match Report : 04/09/2012

4 September 2012

Burton Albion are out of this season's Johnstone's Paint Trophy at the first round stage after losing out 10-9 in a penalty shootout following a goalless draw with League One side Coventry City. 

The Sky Blues had goalkeeper Joe Murphy to thank as he thumped home his side's eleventh spot kick after Brewers second half debutant Dean Lyness had seen his opposite number keep out his effort. It had looked set for the hosts to win two kicks before as Murphy saved Marcus Holness' effort only to see Richard Wood denied by Lyness with the very next kick. 

Gary Rowett's plans to change his side to the maximum the competition rules would allow were further complicated when Nathan Stanton withdrew from the team after being taken ill on the bus travelling to the game. It meant that the original plan to rest Damien McCrory had to be shelved as Aaron Webster was pressed into the role of central defender alongside captain for the night, Marcus Holness. Elsewhere, Andy Corbett returned at right back with Jack Dyer replacing Robbie Weir in central midfield. Former Southend striker Matt Paterson was handed a full debut in attack alongside Billy Kee before the Northern Ireland under 21 international striker headed off for international duty. 

The substitutes bench had a rather youthful look with Evan Garnett and Matty Palmer included alongside Adi Yussuf, Dean Lyness and Justin Richards. 

Coventry started the game on the front foot and from a free kick down near the corner flag Ross Atkins was relieved to see Gary McSheffrey's curling delivery arc beyond the far post and out to safety. 

Albion quickly launched their first meaningful attack and Cleveland Taylor was not that far away from latching onto a superb ball from Lee Bell with Sky Blues keeper Joe Murphy just getting to the ball first. 

Striker Cody McDonald was close to the opening goal on eight minutes as he tried to burst clear but under pressure from Marcus Holness his angled shot was kept out at the near post by the feet of Atkins. 

Albion almost worked themselves a good opening moments later but neither Billy Kee or Matt Paterson could quite work the room for a shot however Joe Murphy was forced into a meaningful save in the thirteenth minute as he got down low to push Lee Bell's low drive from the edge of the box around the post. 

The game continued to flow from end to end and after Atkins had been beaten in the air by David McGoldrick, the striker unable to finish off his own effort, Cleveland Taylor the surged to the edge of the Coventry box before watching as his shot beat the fingertips of Murphy and slide inches wide of the post. 

The clearest chance of the first half came in the 28th minute as Coventry broke with pace and purpose. A strong run down the left from McSheffrey ended with a cross that was met by the onrushing Carl Baker. His header looked destined to end up below the crossbar until Atkins stuck up a hand to brilliantly keep the ball out with Marcus Holness completing the clearance. 

Again Albion responded well and only a well timed header from Reece Brown prevented Matt Paterson from converting Lee Bell's excellent centre. 

As the Brewers continued to look bright in attack Aaron Webster ventured forward and after drawing a foul as he shot for goal the long serving defender drilled the resulting free kick just wide of the target shortly after the half hour mark. 

The remainder of the half descended into a somewhat scrappy affair and there were boos from the disgruntled home fans as the sides went off at the break scoreless. 

Half time: Coventry City 0-0 Burton Albion

Having been unable to give Dean Lyness his debut from the start due to the competitions rules on making changes to the team the former Birmingham City youngster was introduced at the start of the second half and quickly had a nervy moment as a looping cross landed just over the crossbar and onto the roof of his net. 

The Sky Blues also made a change at the break with McDonald replaced by Stephen Elliott. 

However it was Albion who worked the first real opportunity of the second period on 53 minutes, Billy Kee cheekily backheeling Taylor's low cross against the outside of the post. 

Kee then pulled a low shot wide of the target form outside the box on 58 minutes and that was the last action for the young striker as he was substituted by Adi Yussuf. 

Substitute Stephen Elliott curled a teasing effort just over Lyness' crossbar and moments later the young keeper was called on to make his first meaningful save, superbly tipping over David McGoldrick's effort just as it seemed as if he had gone the wrong way. 

Again Albion responded well and from Chris Palmer's corner Marcus Holness glanced a far post header just wide of the post. 

Matt Paterson's debut lasted 69 minutes until he was Albion's final substitution allowing Justin Richards to come on up front for the final twenty minutes. 

Elliott was closer to scoring in the 72nd minute as he latched onto a through ball and drove into the box only to be foiled by Lyness who stood up well and pushed his left foot shot around the post. 

The home side were just cranking up the pressure and from a corner kick the ball came out to McSheffrey who lashed in a shot that cannoned away off the head of Lee Bell deep inside his own six yard box. 

Chances were at a premium now for Albion and Richards wasted probably the best opportunity when Chris Palmer slid him in but the striker could only scuff his effort tamely wide of the post. He was closer as the game entered the last three minutes with an effort from distance  but again his shot was wide of the post. 

As the game entered stoppage time Elliott wasted a glorious chance to seal victory for the hosts but he could only blaze his shot over the crossbar when well placed inside the box. 

Adi Yussuf had an even later chance but he was foiled at the near post by Murphy after wriggling free in the box. 

And so to penalties: 

Cleveland Taylor: Calmly sends Murphy to his left and the ball to the right to score. 1-0 
Gary McSheffrey: Straight down the middle, Lyness dives to his left. 1-1 
Chris Palmer: A repeat of Taylor's penalty 2-1 
Carl Baker: Takes a leaf out of Palmer and Taylor's book. 2-2 
Damien McCrory: Goes the other way and scores as Murphy dives right. 
David McGoldrick: Calmly scores low down the centre as Lyness goes right. 3-3 
Aaron Webster: Goes high but still scores. 4-3 
Kevin Kilbane: Confidently goes right beating Lyness who guesses right. 4-4 
Justin Richards: The keeper doesnt move as Richards calmly rolls it in. 5-4 
Stephen Elliott: Smashes it high giving Lyness no chance. 5-5 
Lee Bell: Straight down the middle again 6-5 
Billy Daniels: Lyness no chance as he sub confidently scores to the left. 6-6 
Adi Yussuf: Goes high and right but scores as Murphy guesses right 7-6 
Reece Brown: Goes right and Lyness almost saves it. 7-7 
Jack Dyer: Scores giving Murphy no chance. 8-7 
Chris Hussey: High and right, Lyness no chance again. 8-8 
Andy Corbett: Rolls it in callmy to Murphy's right 9-8 
Cyrus Christie: Confidently despatches it beyonfd Lyness. 9-9 
Marcus Holness: Watches as Murphy guesses right and keeps it out. 9-9. 
Richard Wood: Incredibly Lyness goes to his right and keeps it out! 9-9 
Dean Lyness: Hits it well but central and Murphy saves 9-9 
Joe Murphy: The keeper makes no mistake and the Sky Blues are through. 9-10 

COVENTRY: Murphy, Hussey, Baker, McDonald (Elliott, 46), McSheffrey, Jennings, Kilbane, Christie, Wood, McGoldrick, Brown. Substitutes: Dunn, Malaga, Ball, O'Donovan, Edjenguele, Daniels. 

ALBION: Atkins (Lyness, 46); Corbett, Holness, Webster, McCrory; Taylor, Bell, Dyer, C.Palmer; Paterson (Richards, 69), Kee (Yussuf, 58). Substitutes: M.Palmer, Garnett. 

Referee: O.Langford (West Midlands) 

Attendance: 5,437 (279 away) 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account