Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Boss relived to be in Sunday's draw

7 December 2013

Kee claims late equaliser for Brewers

Burton Albion boss Gary Rowett was a relived man after substitute Billy Kee rescued the Brewers from an FA Cup exit at Fleetwood Town.

Jeff Hughes had looked to have sealed Fleetwood's passage through to the Third Round when he headed home after 83 minutes but striker Billy Kee who replaced the injured Adam McGurk in the first-half scored an 93 minute equaliser to see Rowett's side earn a replay at the Pirelli Stadium.

Rowett told Brewers Player: "It was always going to be a difficult game, after I felt as though we tactically got the first-half spot on and I was very pleased as we came into half-time.

"We knew as the game went on that we had to try and open them up and see if we could go and win the game but it was also important to be cautious as it there were no goals at that point and it was level.

"Even though we created one or two things which I was quite pleased with first-half, It is great to still be in the draw and we've got to navigate that tie which will be just as difficult (as today).

"We can now all sit there and see."

The Brewers boss praised his side's resolve and belief after falling behind late on at the Highbury Stadium.

"We are never going to do that our side, we are alway very competitive and we've got a great team spirit and I think what we did was we kept going and we took a bit of a gamble at the end putting Sharps up front for the last five or six minutes to see if he could cause a few problems.

"We knew that would leave us spaces at the back but we're really pleased," he explained.

Kee scored his second goal as a Burton substitute after coming on to score against Mansfield Town last week and Rowett praised the forwards scoring ability. 

"Billy is a poacher and if you can get him in and around the box then he is always going to do that sort of thing.

"What's difficult in a game like this is to get him into those positions, I was pleased with the way he responded and ended the game and even more to still be in the draw tomorrow," said Rowett.

The boss also confirmed McGurk had gone to hospital following a nasty clash of heads with goalkeeper Dean Lyness leaving the forward unconscious on the pitch.

He added: "Adam got knocked unconscious by nature of that he came around quite quickly on the pitch but because of that and because he fell quite heavily we've got to take the precautions and he's in hospital now and I think he is quite comfortable."

Advertisement block