Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Burton Albion 3-2 Morecambe

26 February 2013

npower League 2 action from the Pirelli Stadium

eight home wins in a row and the first time that Albion have won four games in a row in the Football League was just what Albion needed to keep their push for promotion on course as for the third season in a row Morecambe were sent back home on the end of a 3-2 defeat.

It was another game where Albion put the game out of the reach of their opponents with the game only just over half done and although Morecambe staged a late fightback, Jacques Maghoma's early tap in and a brace from Billy Kee either side of half time were enough to see Albion home and consolidating their third place in the League 2 table.

After three wins on the bounce Brewers boss Gary Rowett was afforded the luxury of being able to name an unchanged side for the visit of in form Morecambe.

The Shrimps were second in the form table behind the Brewers for what promised to be an exciting encounter.

After a rather uneventful open six minutes Albion almost struck the first blow on seven minutes when Michael Symes showed excellent control to find Alex MacDonald and the Burnley youngster hit a curling effort with the outside of his foot that was only inches away from finding the bottom corner. Robbie Weir also managed to get forward to support the attack and when he latched onto a ball in the inside right channel his angled shot was into the side netting.

Morecambe rallied and had a shot of their own when Andrew Fleming let fly through a crowded penalty area with Ian Sharps the man to make the required block inside the six yard box.

Albion with confidence flowing through them took the lead on 17 minutes with a superbly worked goal. Michael Symes played a sublime ball inside left back Robbie Threlfall and Alex MacDonald was on it in a flash. His low cross was met with a well struck shot that was too hot to handle for Morecambe keeper Barry Roche and Jacques MAGHOMA had the opportunity to score one of the simpler finishes by his standards as he pounced on the rebound.

Maghoma then almost turned provider as his lofted ball forward found Symes breaking the offside trap to good effect and seeing Roche make an excellent double save to deny him at the near post.

Burton continued to press and Ian Sharps forced Roche to push a header over the bar from a corner and Robbie Weir connected well with another set piece to send a header over the angle of post and bar.

Albion weathered something of a revival from the visitors and almost doubled their lead on 35 minutes. Maghoma did well to get on the end of a probing ball forward from Weir and his shot looped up and came back off the crossbar with Billy Kee turning the ball back into the middle where it struck Michael Symes as it looked to be heading in.

Morecambe were inches away from an equaliser on 38 minutes when Albion struggled to deal with a number of probing crosses from the visitors and the ball fell invitingly for Kevin Ellison who lashed a shot goalwards only for it to somehow ricochet away off one of his own players.

Albion chose the perfect moment to score again, doubling their advantage on the stroke of half time. A set piece looked to have gone begging when Alex MacDonald's shot squirmed through the defensive wall. Anthony O'Connor recovered the situation and forced Roche to save with his legs. the ball looped up into the air and Billy KEE rose like a salmon to head powerfully into the back of the net from close range.

Half time: Burton Albion 2-0 Morecambe

Before Morecambe could set about their task of reducing the deficit Albion struck again just four minutes into the second period. A swift break down the right from Alex MacDonald, enjoying his best game in a Brewers shirt to date, resulted in an excellent cross that Symes was able to head down into the path of KEE and he set himself on the penalty spot to ruthlessly lash in his second of the game.

Kevin Ellison briefly threatened to get Morecambe back into it but after jinking his way into the area a combination of Anthony O'Connor and Stuart Tomlinson denied the lively winger.

Albion made their first change on 63 minutes and it was Maghoma, seemingly struggling with his ankle, who was taken off to be replaced by Jimmy Phillips.

Philliips was quickly into the action with a neat shimmy that enabled him to set Weir away for a burst through the centre that brought a good save from Roche going full length to his right.

The winger also picked up a yellow card after a challenge on Nick Fenton where he seemed to fail to make contact with the Morecambe man.

Burton keeper Stuart Tomlinson was forced into his first real save of the night as Jordan Burrow fired in a shot from just inside the area and moments later he was replaced by Jack Redshaw.

With ten minutes to go the substitute gave his side a lifeline as he converted from the penalty spot. Chris Holroyd was clipped by Damien McCrory as they both charged into the area and REDSHAW stepped up confidently to fire home.

It gave Morecambe something to fight for and they had Albion penned back for a spell as they sought an all important second goal that would make for a grandstand finish.

With five minutes to go Alex MacDonald was substituted as Jack Dyer came on to shore things up on the right hand side.

There was a late scare for Albion as the game ticked into stoppage time when Fenton rose highest to meet Ryan Williams free kick but he only found the side netting.

It was most definitely squeaky bum time for Albion when HOLROYD picked up the ball inside the penalty area and lashed the ball high into the roof of Tomlinson's net to set up a nervy ending.

Redshaw lashed a long range shot not far over the bar in the closing minutes but Albion held on for another vital win.

BURTON: Tomlinson; O'Connor, Holness, Sharps, McCrory; MacDonald, Weir, Bell, Maghoma; Kee, Symes. Substitutes: Corbett, Zola, Lyness, Phillips, Paterson, Dyer, Drury.

MORECAMBE: Roche, Fenton, Threlfall, Haining, Ellison, Burrow, McCready, Drummond, Fleming, McDonald, Holroyd. Substitutes: Alessandra, Williams, Mwasile, Doyle, Short, Arestidou, Redshaw.

Referee: Mr. D.Whitestone (Northamptonshire)

GOALS: Burton - Maghoma (17), Kee (45+1, 49) ; Morecambe - Redshaw (80)

Attendance: 2,170

Advertisement block