Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 August 2014

Brewers continue their good preseason form

An entertaining, but goalless encounter gave Gary Rowett plenty of encouragement after the Brewers held Premier League Stoke City to a 0-0 draw at the Pirelli Stadium.


The Brewers matched a strong Stoke eleven, which featured first teamers such as Geoff Cameron and Peter Odemwingie.


And Rowett will be delighted that not only did Albion defend stoutly, they had one or two good chances that could have given them a fantastic boost ahead of our first league game next week at Oxford United.


It was Stoke who started the livelier and nearly scored just after three minutes. Cameron Jerome was played in down the right, he nipped ahead of the on rushing Jon McLaughlin on the edge of the area, but captain Ian Sharps diverted his shot away at the near post for a corner.


Stoke continued to put the Albion defence under early pressure. Jamie Ness passed first time to Jerome, whose shot from 25 yards was put well wide.


  Albion’s first chance came from a free kick on the right hand side after eight minutes. Alex MacDonald’s right footed cross was met by Sharps, who headed wide.


Burton continued to press and Dominic Knowles had a great chance to break the deadlock on 11 minutes. The striker weaved his way into the area, but a Dionatan Teixeira tackle stopped the striker from getting a shot away.


minute, when Lucas Akins hit the post. Akins received the ball from a stray clearance on the edge area, moved it over onto his left foot and stroked it past the keeper, to only find the ball hit the inside of the post and roll out.thBurton fans thought the deadlock had been broken on the 15


With both midfields cancelling each out, it was Akins who was causing Stoke problems. After having an earlier left-footed strike saved, he beat Wheeler and squared a cross to Adam McGurk, whose shot from six yards out was brilliantly saved by Jack Butland.


Burton’s chances continued when Jerome was caught waiting for a pass in the centre circle. Weir nipped in, drove towards the box and shot from the edge of area, which Jack Butland easily saved.


With two minutes remaining Stoke thought they had scored. Steve Sidwell went through one-on-one and stroked it past McLaughlin to only find the offside flag raised.


Stoke finished the half stronger and nearly broke the deadlock right on halftime from a Peter Odemwingie corner. Cameron lost his marker and saw his 6-yard header saved instinctively by McLaughlin.


Half Time


Burton started the brighter after the break and an early Akins left footed strike from the edge of the area was parried away by Butland.


minute. A Sharps downward header was cleared to MacDonald who drove towards the penalty and shot a fierce strike on goal, which was smartly saved by Butland.thThe England goalkeeper was called into action once again on the 50


Stoke responded courtesy of a MacDonald stray pass. Ryan Shotton worked his way to the by-line and his far post cross was headed over by Jerome.


Burton responded when Knowles wrestled with Mason Watkins and the ball fell to MacDonald. Alex’s shot from the edge of the six-yard box went wide.


minute. Shotton rose from a Wheeler cross and saw his header hit the bar with Lyness beaten.thThe best chance of the game fell to Stoke on the 58


Both teams continued to cancel each other out and Phil Edwards nearly broke the deadlock for the Brewers, when Butland made a low save to keep his header out.


Sidwell won a free kick for the Potters when he was bought down by Ian Sharps just outside the penalty area. Ness rolled the ball to Jerome, who on his right foot shot high and wide.


Stoke started to bring on some youth and it was substitute James Alabi, who nearly made an impact.


The winger James Alabi got behind Sharps inside the area, but his cross to Jerome was well cleared by Callum McFadzean.


Alabi continue to cause more problems and thought he should have won a penalty. Alabi beat McFadzean and went down, but both the linesman and referee allowed play to continue, much to the disgust of the winger.


Stoke had an excellent opportunity with just three minutes remaining. A mix up between Edwards and Dean Lyness left an open goal. Substitute Ollie Shelton’s was first to the ball and his goal ward volley from 18 yards was superbly headed away by Sharps.


That turned about to be the last chance of the game as the referee allowed minimal stoppage time due to a clean and fast paced game.


The Brewers will be delighted with their preseason work, especially as they haven’t conceded a goal from open play and there is still plenty of competition for those starting places.


Brewers: Jon McLaughlin (Sub 46: Dean Lyness), Phil Edwards, John Mousinho, George Taft, Ian Sharps ©, Robbie Weir, Lucas Akins, Alex MacDonald, Callum McFadzean, Dominic Knowles, Adam McGurk (Sub 46:Billy Kee)


Subs Not Used: Matty Palmer, Liam Slade, Joe Doyle, Marcus Harness,

Stoke City: Jack Butland, Geoff Cameron © (Sub 46: Mason Watkins), Elliot Wheeler, Jamie Ness, Dionatan Teixeira, Ryan Shotton, Steve Sidwell, Wilson Palacious (Sub 59: Ollie Shelton), Peter Odemwingie (Sub 46: James Alabi), Cameron Jerome, Brek Shea


Subs Not Used: Daniel Eve, Charlie Ward, Josh Taylor



Goals: None


    Booked: None


Sent Off: None


Attendance: 1836


Referee: Mr Kevin Johnson


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account