Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


15 July 2014

Brewers defeated in first pre-season run out

Burton Albion started their pre-season preparations with a 1-0 defeat to Ilkeston FC, the Robins scoring the only goal of the game from the penalty spot after two minutes. Ian Sharps was harSHly adjudged to have brought down Kane Richards with the Albion skipper seemingly making contact with the ball before the striker went down and with the challenge seemingly outside the box. Rob Duffy coolly slotted home the resulting penalty.

Summer signings George Taft, John Mousinho and Stuart Beavon joined returning loanee Callum McFadzean in a mixed first half side that saw youth team products Mark Shelton and Sam Austin join Marcus Harness and Joe Doyle in the starting line up.

Duffy tried his luck from long range with an ambitious effort that drifted wide after the striker spotted Dean Lyness off his line as the striker tried to double his tally.

Albion soon settled into the game and from a left wing corner Mousinho got up well to head into the six yard box and Adam McGurk was unfortunate to see his headed effort beat former Albion keeper Ross Atkins and bounce down off the underside of the crossbar. Stuart Beavon had Atkins checking that he had his angles right with a low drive that went just wide of the far post and McGurk scuffed a low shot wide of the target after making room for a shot from the edge of the box. Marcus Harness drilled a rising shot over the crossbar off his left foot and youth teamer Austin clipped the outside of the post with another effort as Albion laid siege to the Ilkeston goal for a period.

Mark Shelton, asked to play at right back went on one fabulous run down the right and he cut the ball back for Mousinho who was unfortunate to see a defender get something on his shot to deflect it into the waiting arms of Atkins.

Callum Chettle was not far away from doubling the Robins lead as he latched onto a ball across the edge of the box, sending a low shot wide as it curled away from Lyness.

The second half saw Albion change their entire side with Lucas Akins getting a first run out in Albion colours and Gary Rowett opting to look at triallists Joe Anyon, Louis Cutajar and Thomas Verheydt. Anyon a former Port Vale and Lincoln City goalkeeper had little to do apart from one save low to his right to deny substitute Goran Seymour whilst Cutajar, a young Maltese under 21 international formerly with the Norwich City Academy looked comfortable at left back. The main interest was in Verheydt, a Dutch striker brought in by Rowett on an extended trial. The 22 year old had an early chance to impress getting on the end of a cross from Cutajar but only directing his header straight at keeper Jordan Smith.

The striker on the whole displayed a good first touch and in one particular link up with Matty Palmer the striker created a chance for fellow frontman Dominic Knowles who was only denied by a smart save from Smith.

Whilst Albion dominated possession in the second half Ilkeston did have chances with a superb block from Liam Slade required to deny Andre Johnson a clear sight of goal and Anyon making his only real save to keep the scoreline to 1-0.  

Advertisement block