Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 13/09/2014

13 September 2014


Burton Albion recorded their eighth win from nine games in all competitions as they swept aside York City 2-0 at the Pirelli Stadium.

The game was evenly poised at the break, but second half goals from Lucas Akins and John Mousinho saw Burton inflict a first league defeat on the Minstermen since January.

The Brewers named an unchanged starting line-up from the side that overcame Portsmouth last Sunday. York named former Albion midfielder Russell Pen and Luke Summerfield, son of Brewers assistant manager Kevin, in their side

Both sides had unbeaten records to maintain, and Adam McGurk tested Michael Ingham with three minutes on the clock following good work from George Taft. Femi Ilesanmi almost put York into the lead shortly after with a shot from his own half, although Albion keeper Jon McLaughlin was able to backpedal and keep it out.

Brewers boss Gary Rowett predicted an open game in his pre-match interview, and it proved to be an end-to-end start as both Alex MacDonald and Penn had chances in the opening ten minutes.

McLaughlin was once again called into action to divert Summerfield’s long range effort behind for a corner, and watched as John McCombe headed over just after.

McGurk headed over Akins’ cross shortly after, whilst a well-worked free-kick resulted in John Mousinho clearing the stand with a volley.

The game quietened down after the early flurry of chances as the ball spent a lot of time in the middle of the park.  The Brewers were pressing for the early goal and Mousinho saw his 28th minute lob headed off the line with York keeper Ingham stranded.

York began to create more chances after the half hour mark after forcing a couple of corners, and McLaughlin had to be on his toes to deny Wes Fletcher after the striker found his way past Ian Sharps.

Half-time approached with both teams looking very evenly matched. The Brewers began the second half more positively, with Akins firing wide on the turn following McGurk’s knockdown.

Anthony Straker had the visitors’ best chance on 53 minutes as he took advantage f Phil Edwards’ slip to find himself one-on-one with McLaughlin, but the Albion keeper made himself big to deny the York forward.

There was no time for Straker to rue his missed opportunity as the Brewers edged ahead a minute later through Akins. MacDonald worked hard down the right to drag a low cross into the box, and whilst

McGurk’s shot was blocked by McCombe, Akins was on hand to ruthlessly thump home the rebound for his third goal of the season.

The goal sparked life into the game as MacDonald’s rifled free-kick whistled wide moments later, whilst Lindon Meikle’s low cross caused havoc in the Brewers box just after.

York immediately went about getting themselves back level as McLaughlin needed two attempts to gather Summerfield’s drive, whilst the Albion keeper gathered Penn’s deflected volley.

The game opened up again after the hour, and following a good Brewers break, Akins fired at Ingham from distance, although the keeper was equal to it.

Albion pressed for a second as Akins missed another opportunity, but it was McGurk who almost doubled the lead on 69 minutes, firing against the crossbar from 12 yards with Ingham beaten, but the ball bounced clear as York remained in the contest.

McGurk went close again with 15 minutes remaining as he cut in from the right and aimed for the roof of the net, but a deflection took it behind for a corner, which Ingham claimed.

Jacob Blyth replaced Beavon in Albion’s first change on 78 minutes, and the Brewers doubled their lead a minute later through John Mousinho. Akins did well to release Weir 25 yards from goal, but as he was brought down by Ilesanmi, Mousinho powered home the loose ball to all but seal the points for Burton.

McGurk was replaced by Matty Palmer s the game entered injury time, and the four minutes passed without incident as the Brewers racked up their eighth win in nine games to go three points clear at the top of League Two.


Burton Albion: Jon McLaughlin, Phil Edwards, Shane Cansdell-Sherriff, John Mousinho, George Taft, Ian Sharps (c), Robbie Weir, Stuart Beavon (sub Jacob Blyth 78), Lucas Akins, Alex MacDonald (sub Marcus Harness 82), Adam McGurk (sub Matty Palmer 90)

Subs Not Used: Dean Lyness, Callum McFadzean, Dominic Knowles, Liam Slade


York City: Michael Ingham, Marvin McCoy, Femi Ilesanmi, John McCombe, Michael Coulson, Luke Summerfield, Wes Fletcher, Russell Penn (c), Anthony Straker (sub Jake Hyde 63), Keith Lowe, Lindon Meikle (sub Tom Platt 82)

Subs Not Used: Jason Mooney, Ryan Jarvis, Lewis Montrose, Dave Winfield, Ben Hirst


Goals: Lucas Akins (55), John Mousinho (79)


Booked: None


Sent Off: None


Attendance: 2,890


Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Advertisement block