Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


30 April 2015

Burton Albion vs Cambridge United (H)

Date: 21/02/2006    Final Score: 2-0 W
Burton Albion Team    
31. Saul Deeney
3. Aaron Webster
4. Andy Corbett
5. Darren Tinson
6. Ryan Austin
10. Andy Ducros
11. Keith Gilroy
14. Shaun Harrad
17. Gary Rowett
23. Kris Taylor
24. Christian Moore

Cambridge United Team
13. Scott Howie
4. Andy Duncan
5. Mark Peters
8. David Bridges
10. Jamie Guy
12. Jon Brady
17. Stacey Coldicott
19. Tommy Jaszczun
21. Michael Morrison
23. Rob Wolleaston
29. Courtney Pitt

Moore (46), Harrad (60)   

Shaw (for Harrad, 69)
Henshaw (for Ducros, 83)
Hall (for Moore, 86)    Onibuje (for Coldicott, 62)

Officials & Bookings
Referee: Mr A.Hendley (Halesowen)

Bookings: Morrison (Cambridge)          

Match Report

Christian Moore made the most of another chance in the starting line up to score the opening goal, 30 seconds into the second half to set Albion on the way to another Conference victory, cementing their place in the top half of the table in the process.

Match Breakdown
Once in front, Nigel Clough’s men took a stranglehold on the game, and never really looking in danger of relinquishing their first ever league win against the United half of Cambridge.

The game offered the opportunity to rest Jon Shaw with Moore restored to the team alongside Shaun Harrad, and as expected, Andy Ducros returning at the expense of Chris Hall, Andy Corbett pushed forward from full back to raid down the right wing with Ducros partnering Kris Taylor in the centre of midfield. Gary Rowett slotted into his third different position in as many games, this time playing at right back.

After a bright opening from the visitors which saw Jamie Guy and David Bridges link up well to offer an opportunity for the latter to scuff a shot at Deeney, it was Albion who got into their stride and looked the more dangerous.

Scott Howie was called into action as early as the fourth minute when he had to dive to his left to hold onto Ducros’ left foot 25 yard shot after a half clearance from Michael Morrison.

The United defence was under pressure again on eight minutes when Kris Taylor’s cross picked out Shaun Harrad at the back post. His shot forced a save from the keeper but the ball fell kindly for the Cambridge defence to clear up.

On a difficult pitch the first half was quite open and some loose marking allowed Guy to turn and hit a 20 yard shot after 10 minutes.

Taylor and Harrad combined again minutes later with the former Notts County man driving the ball across the face of goal with nobody on hand to apply the finishing touch.

The on loan midfielder from Walsall was the provider again, this time from a corner kick on 18 minutes but Rowett could only flick his header wide of the far post and the midfielder was unlucky not to score himself with a raking low drive from 25 yards but Howie did enough to push his effort around the post.

If there was a sense that this could be another frustrating game when Albion would do everything but score, those fears were eased just thirty seconds into the second period. Keith Gilroy dinked a pass over the full back for Aaron Webster to latch onto and after reaching the goal line he drove the ball across the area with power where the Cambrudge defence were still mentally in the dressing room but Moore was alert as ever to race in and apply the finish for his first goal since returning to the club.

Ducros could have scored the goal that his polished performance deserved with a fizzing volley from outside the box but his sumptuous shot was straight at Howie who held on just under his crossbar.

On the hour mark, Albion doubled their advantage and effectively killed the game off. Andy Corbett beat the offside trap and drove the ball into six yard box and watched in agony as Andy Duncan’s sliced clearance almost dropped into the net but agony turned to ecstasy when Gilroy’s corner was headed goalwards by Darren Tinson with Howie only pushing the ball out to Shaun Harrad who had the easy job of prodding the ball over the line.

Cambridge were a demoralised side and with only two wins on their travels since the start of last season they never looked like scoring let alone turning the game around. David Bridges header was straight at Deeney and the underworked keeper was able to watch Rob Wolleaston’s shot fly wide of his post but it could have been worse the the U’s had Kris Taylor curled a 25 yard free kick inside the post rather than inches wide of it with a quarter of an hour to go.

Albion man of the match: Darren Tinson – the rock at the back in the best form of his Albion career so far.

Advertisement block