Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


25 February 2015

The Burton Albion Reserves continued their season in the Development League with a match against Doncaster Rovers at St Georges Park.

First team coach Neill Hornby and goalkeeping coach Gavin Ward managed the side which was populated by youngsters from the BAFC academy.

One face that started for the Reserves was Jimmy Phillips as he continues his recovery from a serious knee injury.

Doncaster started the brightest in the opening five minutes. They worked the ball well down the right hand side before crossing it in, a shot was allowed but Joe Doyle blocked well. After that, Doncaster kept the ball well but the Brewers held a solid shape.

The first real chance fell to the Brewers in Mark Shelton. He pick-pocketed the defender, raced one-on-one with the goalkeeper who rushed out, slid through Shelton and the Brewers appealed for a penalty. The referee was unmoved.

The first shot on target was registered 23 minutes into the game through Burton’s Jimmy Phillips. He picked the ball up around 30 yards from goal, he twisted and turned through the Doncaster defence but his curling effort was held by the goalkeeper. The Brewers were in control of the game.

Jimmy Phillips was involved once again as he held the ball up well, played it down the line to youngster Jack Hallahan who’s first time cross was good but too close to the goalkeeper.

Doncaster finally woke up after 35 minutes as a long ball down the line was chased, the cross came in and it appeared that the Doncaster striker controlled the ball with his hand before turning and firing towards goal only to sting the palms of Sam Hornby. The ball ricocheted awkwardly for the defence who couldn’t clear, another shot was aimed towards goal but this time it was blazed over.

On 40 minutes, 16-year-old Jack Hallahan left the pitch with blood gushing down his face. It appeared that he went up for a header and had a clash of heads with a Doncaster defender. Hallahan was replaced by Coggins.

By this time, the game had opening up and the sides were pretty level. Doncaster had their best chance of the game when a long ball was sent up-field for their striker to chase but his shot could only find the left side of the goal.


The first chance of the second half came on 60 minutes and it went to Doncaster. The whole team worked the ball around the park really well before getting the shot off but Sam Hornby saved well.

Hornby was tested ten minutes later as Doncaster were again allowed through the Brewers back line, the striker tried a fancy chip but was denied once again but a great reaction save.

The deadlock was finally broken just two minutes later (72 minutes) and it was a controversial goal. A Brewers defender couldn’t intercept a through ball which was pulled back across goal by the winger, the shot was taken first time and Hornby blocked with this legs. He picked the ball up and carried on with play but the linesman on the near side was flagging for a goal. 1-0 to Doncaster.

It wasn’t long before Doncaster added another. Just six minutes later (78 minutes), Gatter placed an under-weighted pass towards the Brewers goalkeeper, it was intercepted and the striker didn’t need a second invitation to fire past Hornby. 2-0 to the Yorkshire side.

The only chance of the half for Burton fell to Richard on 85 minutes. Some nice interchanging play between Richards, Phillips and Shelton left Richards through on goal but his shot from a tight angle was blocked by the goalkeeper.

Temperatures soared towards the final few minutes of the match. An off the ball incident involving Jimmy Phillips was not seen by the referee, much in Phillips’ favour. He appeared the kick out at the Doncaster midfielder but only received a yellow card.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account