Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


1 June 2015


Another busy month was ahead of the Brewers with six more games in September. Five league games were scheduled, along with the third round of the League cup after two victories over Championship and Premier League opposition respectively.

Burton Albion beat Portsmouth to go top of League Two and continue their unbeaten start to the season.

The Brewers were ahead within two minutes when Adam McGurk touched in Stuart Beavon's cross-shot.

Jed Wallace volleyed wide a rare first-half chance for Pompey and home keeper John McLaughlin had to make a double save from Alex Wynter after the break.

But Lucas Akins' superb turn and shot on 55 minutes eased Burton to a fifth successive home win this season.

Burton Albion stayed top of League Two and ended York City's 23-game unbeaten run with their sixth win of the season.

The Brewers took the lead through Lucas Akins' volley after Adam McGurk's shot had been blocked by Lowe.

McGurk hit the bar before Mousinho powered in a low effort from 25 yards to give manager Gary Rowett a win after turning down Blackpool in midweek.

The victory left Burton with the only unbeaten record in League Two and a three point cushion at the top of table.

The Brewers tasted defeat for the first time this season as Adebayo Akinfenwa scored his first two AFC Wimbledon goals.

Matt Tubbs beat onrushing keeper Jon McLaughlin to put the Dons ahead with his eighth goal of the season, having volleyed against the crossbar early on.

The League Two leaders struggled to respond and Akinfenwa made it 2-0 with a far-post header before half time.

He tapped in a scrappy second after the break before Wimbledon were reduced to 10 men following Tubbs' second caution.

Burton's best start to a season in more than 55 years saw them go nine games unbeaten in all competitions before Wimbledon earned maximum points for the first time in five league matches.

Bury replaced Burton at the top of League Two after a Daniel Nardiello double sealed a convincing win.

Half-time substitute Nardiello fired Bury into the lead from eight yards before Ryan Lowe poked in the second.

An over-hit back-pass from Shane Cansdell-Sherriff wrong-footed keeper Jon McLaughlin and Nardiello pounced to put the Shakers three up.

Jacob Blyth nodded in Stuart Beavon's cross late on, but it proved nothing more than a consolation.

Bury, who started the day in second place, leapfrogged Burton at the top of League Two, with The Brewers slipping to second after suffering consecutive defeats.

The third round of the League cup crept up on Burton Albion at possibly the wrong time. The Brewers entered the cup fixture coming off the back of two straight defeats against League 2 opponents.

Brighton cruised past Burton in the Capital One Cup to set up a trip to Tottenham in the last 16.

The visitors went ahead when Gary Gardner nodded Paddy McCourt's free kick back across goal and Rohan Ince powered a close-range header.

Kazenga Lua Lua scored a fine solo goal and Craig Mackail-Smith hooked in McCourt's cross to make it 3-0.

Brighton skipper Inigo Calderon was sent off late on for a dangerous high challenge on Robbie Weir.

Burton returned to winning ways with a first victory in three League Two games taking them to the top of the table.

Gary Rowett's side withstood second-half pressure to protect the lead given them by Stuart Beavon to leave Cheltenham winless in five games.

Beavon struck the winner after 34 minutes when he fired low into the net from the edge of the box after being set up by John Mousinho.

Advertisement block