Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


27 May 2015


Burton Albion kicked off their Sky Bet League 1 campaign with a 1-0 victory away to Oxford United in a month that promised to be a busy one. Seven games were held in August, two of which were League cup matches against higher opposition.

A debut goal from Lucas Akins secured all three points on the first game of the season away to Oxford United. Akins pounced from eight yards in the 42nd minute after Stuart Beavon's powerful run past two defenders on the left carved open Oxford's defence.

The League cup was up next as the Brewers were picked out against Championship opponents in Wigan Athletic. Underdogs we were but that didn’t faze the players. Burton produced one of the shocks of the first round as they beat Championship side Wigan to progress in the Capital One Cup.

The League Two Brewers fell behind when Marc-Antoine Fortune struck with a low effort against the run of play.

But Burton's Dominic Knowles turned in a low cross on the stroke of half-time.

And they capitalised on the momentum shift after the break as Stuart Beavon finished clinically from 10 yards to secure one of Burton's finest results.

Three games in the first week of the season as something the Brewers were relishing, as they shown with three victories. Dagenham the next opponents.

Billy Kee scored twice in four minutes late in the game as Burton came from behind to beat Dagenham.

The Daggers had taken the lead in the 18th minute when Jamie Cureton latched on to an Ashley Hemmings header before steering in a low shot.

But substitute Kee equalised from the penalty spot after Marcus Harness had been tripped by Luke Howell.

And the 23-year-old won the game for Albion by turning Harness' cross into the bottom corner of the goal.

Another Tuesday game at home gave the Brewers the opportunity to push their way to the top of the table with a game against Exeter City.

Burton maintained their 100% record as they condemned Exeter to back-to-back defeats.

Exeter keeper Christy Pym was in top form to twice deny John Mousinho, but was powerless to deny Stuart Beavon's effort from 10 yards after the Grecians failed to clear a long throw.

Exeter fought back with a spell of late pressure, but Scot Bennett's header was scrambled away by the Burton defence.


Newport County earned their first point of the League Two campaign as they were denied victory by Burton midfielder John Mousinho's strike.

Striker Chris Zebroski headed the hosts ahead from close range as they sought to respond to three opening defeats.

But Burton fought back after the break through Mousinho's left-footed shot.


The second round the of the League cup beckoned after victory earlier on in the month against Championship opposition. This time it was against Premier League new boys Queens Park Rangers.

QPR's poor start to the season continued as League Two side Burton Albion knocked them out of the second round of the Capital One Cup.

Redknapp made nine changes and saw his second-string side punished by McGurk.

Burton - unbeaten this season - were not overawed by the Premier League outfit and McGurk tested Rangers goalkeeper Brian Murphy early on before Alex MacDonald twice drove across goal.

McGurk stepped up and clipped a fine curling shot over the wall and past Murphy to book a third-round tie with Brighton.


The final game of August ended in victory as the Brewers overturned local rivals Mansfield Town.

Ten-man Burton Albion came through an ill-tempered finale at Mansfield Town to secure victory and maintain their unbeaten record in League Two.

Alex MacDonald opened the scoring for the league leaders with a 20-yard deflected shot on 42 minutes and Callum McFadzean tapped in after the break.

The Stags hit back when Matt Rhead headed home a free-kick on 75 minutes.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account