Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


8 February 2016

BURTON Albion ease past Port Vale at St George's Park.

First shot of the game fell to Callum Reilly who tried his luck from the edge of the box but his shot flew over the goal. 

The visitors tried a shot from 12 yards but Stephen Bywater did well to dive away to his right and tip it on to the bar. 

The Brewers could have been in front after a quarter of an hour. He chased the goalkeeper before dispossessing him but the shot could only find the side netting. 

GOAL: The Brewers took the lead after 19 minutes. A great goal from Timmy Thiele as he picked the ball up on the half way line before he raced down the right, cut inside and fired past the Vale keeper. 1-0

Sam Austin nearly doubled the lead ten minutes later as he teed up a shot from distance but the keeper did well to get down and parry it away. 

Mark Shelton put the hard work in as he latched on to a great ball from O'Connor down the left before cutting in on his right and providing a great cross but Thiele was unable to get a header on it. 

A great interchange down the right between Thiele and Butcher provided Timmy with the change of a shot which crept just wide. 

HT: Burton Albion 1-0 Port Vale

Marcus Dinanga replaced Timmy Thiele at the break. 

The Brewers had the ball in the net shortly after the break through Marcus Harness as he lashed it past the Vale stopper but the flag was already up for offside. 

GOAL: The away side equalised four minutes into the second half. Vale's Jonny Kapend picked the ball up just inside the box before bending a left-footed effort into Bywater's top right corner. 1-1

GOAL: The Brewers weren't behind for long as the trialist tapped in at the back post from a Callum Reilly cross. 2-1

Dinanga was involved in a race as Austin slipped the ball down the right for the forward to chase but the goalkeeper just nipped in before. 

GOAL: The lead was added to with 15 minutes to go. Dinanga curled the ball into the top corner with the outside of his left foot from the edge of the box. A fine finish. 3-1

Charlie Gatter was given the final 10 minutes as he replaced the hard-working Callum Reilly. 

The Vale stopper was called into action again as Ferguson let fly from 18 yards only be denied by the keeper.  

FT: Burton Albion 3-1 Port Vale

Advertisement block