Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


29 April 2017

BURTON Albion drew 1-1 with Barnsley and secured Championship survival this afternoon.

Brewers manager Nigel Clough made two changes from last weekends win against Leeds United for today's trip to Oakwell. Luke Murphy and Michael Kightly came into the side for Lucas Akins and Lloyd Dyer. 

The game started with a was a fast tempo and it was the hosts who had the first attempt of the game as Moncur hit a strike from the edge of the box in the first minute but Brewers stopper Stephen Bywater dealt with it comfortably.
Almost instantly the Brewers had their first attempt as Michael Kightly raced clear into the box after a long ball but his attempt didn't test the Barnsley keeper.
Burton's next best chance came from Luke Murphy, after good play between Kightly and Lasse Vigen Christensen the Danish attacker crossed that was cleared and fell to Murphy who's long range effort went over. 
Jackson Irvine had Albion's best chance of the half in the 36th minute when he connected with a Christensen corner but his header just went over the Barnsley bar. 
Minutes later it was the home side who took the lead as the ball found its way to George Moncur who controlled the ball well inside the box and slotted home past Bywater with his left foot on the 38th minute.
The Brewers made one change at the break with Lucas Akins replacing Irvine.
The home side started well and in the 48th minute tested Bywater, Kent got the ball after good work from Moncur but Bywater produced two saves to deny Moncur getting a second of the game. 
Bywater was called straight into action again minutes later as he produced a fine save to stop an overhead kick from Barnsley defender Angus MacDonald.
Burton's equaliser came through Luke Varney who came on in the 50th minute and made an immediate impact. Varney nodded home a Christnsen corner with his first touch.
Barnsley responded via Kent on the left hand side who beat Sordell and Brayford but his effort on the edge of the box went over and didn't threaten the Burton goal.
Kyle McFadzean nearly had a moment to forget as he cleared a Kent cross which almost found its way into the Albion net but thankfully it went out for a corner.
Barnsley had their best chance on the 89th minute after a good interchange between Armstrong and Bradshaw, however it was cleared away somehow by the Albion.
Albion held on and secured a point which guaranteed their Championship survival!
Barnsley: Davies, Jones, MacDonald, Jackson, Elder, Kent, James, Moncur, Scowen, Watkins, Bradshaw.
Subs used: Mowatt for Jones (66th) Armstrong for Moncur (81st) Hedges for Elder (90th)
Burton Albion: Bywater, Flanagan, Mousinho, Turner, McFadzean, Brayford, Kightly, Murphy, Irvine, Christensen, Sordell
Subs used: Akins for Irvine (46th), Varney for Kightly (50th) McCrory for Flanagan (77th)
Attendance: 12,952
Michael's Man of the Match: Luke Murphy for his role in protecting the defence throughout.

Advertisement block