Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


1 February 2017

NIGEL Clough was without two loan signings for the visit of Fulham. Christensen and Woodrow were ineligible to play against their parent club.

Deadline day signing Michael Kightly was also unable to make his Burton Albion debut due to his late registration.

Despite not seeing much of the ball in the opening exchanges it was Burton Albion that had the better of the chances. Jackson Irvine latched on to a short back pass but his effort was tipped wide by David Button before the Fulham stopper came to the rescue again when Lloyd Dyer raced through on goal after a great pass by Damien McCrory but he was denied by the legs of Button.

Fulham played the ball neatly at the back but didn't go forward with intent until Tom Cairney gave them the spark, and provided the cross for Scott Malone on the edge of the box but his volley was sliced well over the bar.

Cairney proved to be the danger man again for Fulham as he teed up a shot from distance which deflected up in the air and landed just wide of Jon McLaughlin's right-hand post.

The Brewers did well to restrict Fulham to long-range opportunities, and The Cottagers didn't test Jon McLaughlin in he first half even when Kevin McDonald worked a shooting opportunity but the midfielder's effort was well over the crossbar.

HT: Burton Albion FC 0-0 Fulham FC

GOAL: Fulham took the lead just three minutes into the second half as Sone Aluke carried the ball to the edge of the box where Ben Turner got a foot in but the ball fell kindly to Stefan Johansen who finished into the far corner with his left boot (0-1).

Chris O'Grady missed out on Saturday's squad that travelled to QPR but he was involved tonight and made a substitute appearance just after the hour mark as he replaced Marvin Sordell.

The man on loan from Brighton could have had a goal just minutes after coming on as Lucas Akins provided the cross from the left which was directed towards goal but O'Grady, only to see his effort saved by David Button.

GOAL: Against the run of play it was Fulham that scored the next goal through the unlikely source of Scott Malone who made way down the left before lashing the ball into the roof of the net (0-2).

Luke Murphy scored his first Burton Albion goal on Saturday, but he was replaced by Tom Naylor with just over 15 minutes of the game to play.

Will Miller had suffered with a hamstring injury of late but he was given his chance when he replaced Lloyd Dyer on 78 minutes.

The Brewers were very nearly undone by a long ball up field which was well controlled by Cairney them back heeled to Piazon but his shot was well saved by McLaughlin in the Albion goal.

Chris O'Grady was presented with the last opportunity of the game as Jackson Irvine saw his header cleared off the line before the Albion striker blasted his effort over the crossbar.

FT: Burton Albion FC 0-2 Fulham FC

Attendance: 3,725

Ash's man of the match: Jackson Irvine

Advertisement block