Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


14 November 2017

Club News


14 November 2017

THE Burton Albion reserves were defeated 5-0 by an experienced Grimsby Town side in their second group game of the Central League Cup.

The Brewers were made to defend for the opening five minutes as the hosts, whose starting XI has made more than 570 appearances combined, applied much of the pressure, with Harry Campbell making a good low save to deny Grimsby an early goal.

The Brewers had a chance to take the lead in the sixth minute, when Reece Hutchinson broke down the left side of the field and found James Harrison in the box, but his shot was well saved by the Grimsby goalkeeper.

Hutchinson again caused the home side trouble in the 12th minute, he drove into the penalty area but his driven cross was cleared before it could be converted by the Brewers.

Harry Campbell was forced into a brilliant save in the 28th minute, as he tipped a curling effort around the post.

In the 31st minute, Grimsby took the lead. The ball ricocheted around the penalty area before it was smashed off of the inside of the post to put the hosts ahead.

While the Brewers were trailing, they were not on the back-foot and they almost equalised twice before the half-time whistle. First, Tristan Matthews nutmegged the Grimsby full-back and danced into the penalty area where he cut the ball back to Reece Hutchinson. He found Joe Sbarra, the captain for the game, who forced a good save.

Hutchinson then troubled the Grimsby goal with a low effort after a driving run, but it was saved.

Where the Brewers finished the first half strongly, Grimsby started the second with intent and they doubled their lead within 10 minutes of the second-half starting.

Harrison had a good chance to halve the deficit on the hour mark. Sbarra released Hutchinson down the left and he found the forward inside the box, but Harrison put the ball over the bar.

Grimsby made it 3-0 just three minutes later, when a powerful effort was driven past Campbell from inside the penalty area.

In the 77th minute, Grimsby were awarded a penalty for handball. Former Port Vale striker JJ Hooper stepped up to convert from the spot.

The final goal was scored with just three minutes to go as the Brewers came away from Blundell Park with their second defeat in the competition.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account