Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


22 November 2017

GOALS from Chris Beardsley, Shaun Barker and Reece Hutchinson saw the Brewers progress in the Birmingham Senior Cup after a thrilling 3-2 win over Highgate United.

The Brewers started the game strongly and caused the hosts trouble in the early going. Charlie Dowd drove a dangerous ball into the penalty area, but the Highgate defence dealt with it well.

Highgate went close to taking the lead early on when an effort from range bounced just wide. 

Charlie Dowd went close for the Brewers with a curling effort that drifted just wide of the far-post. James Harrison then danced through the Highgate defence and fired a shot just wide from inside the box.

Beardsley, who was making a rare appearance  for the Brewers, forced two saves out of the Highgate goalkeeper before half-time. First, Dowd played him in on goal but he could not beat the keeper. Then, the striker once again found himself in space in the box, but his shot was easily saved.

The second half was something of a spectacle. The Brewers took the lead just after the hour-mark. Dowd drove down the right and played a good pass to Beardsley, who rounded the goalkeeper and calmly slotted the ball into the net.

Club captain Shaun Barker replaced Beardsley for the final 20 minutes, with the former Derby County defender immediately going up-front.

The game exploded into life in the final 15 minutes. First, Highgate equalised when the ball was stabbed home after Burton had failed to clear it. Then, the hosts turned the game completely on its head as the ball was headed past Harry Campbell at his near post to put the home side in front. 

The Brewers pushed hard for an equaliser in the final five minutes of the game and Barker volleyed the ball over the bar after the ball had been punched to him. 

But Barker got his goal just a minute later. Tristan Matthews burst clear and played a sumptuous ball from the right hand side to find Barker who slid the ball home to draw the Brewers level.

And they were ahead minutes later when Reece Hutchinson skilfully drove into the box and smashed the ball home from a tight angle to win the game for Burton, who progress in the cup, while Highgate’s five game winning streak came to an end. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account