Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


28 October 2017

A 90th minute free kick from substitute Bersant Celina ripped a hard earned point from Albion's grasp at the end of a tight encounter at the Pirelli Stadium.

Albion were more than worthy of a point after going ahead early in the second half through Ben Turner's towering header but Martyn Waghorn's equaliser nine minutes later set up a tense finish crowned by the Manchester City loanee's stunning winner. The midfielder stepped up and curled the ball beyond the dive of Connor Ripley to snatch all three points for Mick McCarthy's side.

After the disappointment of the defeat at the City Ground boss Nigel Clough made three changes for the visit of the Tractor Boys. Ripley was handed a Championship debut as Stephen Bywater missed out due to personal reasons. Matty Lund returned in a midfield three as Albion shuffled players around to counter the loss of John Brayford with a hamstring strain. Lucas Akins, fit again after coming off at half time against Forest slotted in at right wing back. The third change saw Marvin Sordell restored to the attack as Sean Scannell missed out with an injury picked up in Friday's training.

Using the windy conditions to their advantage in the first half it was Albion who had the best of the early play with Ipswich struggling to get out of their own half as the Brewers set about their task with relish. Skipper Jake Buxton guided a header on target from Lund's free kick early on and Sordell saw a left footed effort deflect wide of the target from inside the box moments later. From the resulting corner it was Ben Turner getting in on the act with a low angled shot that went just wide.

Albion continued to look the more lively although the organised Ipswich backline was doing a good job of restricting chances on goal, although Albion nearly benefitted a low cross from Akins was cleared by skipper Luke Chambers against his own team mate Jonas Knudsen and for a moment it looked as if the ball might rebound into the Ipswich net.

Lund was providing bags of energy in the midfield and it looked like an opportunity had presented itself form him to shoot on goal after 26 minutes but he opted to find Warnock in space on the left and when the ball was pulled back into middle Ipswich were able to clear and launch a counter. David McGoldrick ser Freddie Sears free on the left and he raced to the edge of the Burton box before losing his composure and sending the ball way beyond the far post.

Ripley had been pretty much a spectator for the first half an hour but had to make a smart save when McGoldrick broke free to get into the box and shot across the keeper, the man on loan from Middlesbrough getting down low to his left to confidently clutch the ball.

Bialkowski was not quite so confident with his handling at the other end when Sordell testing him with a low shot and having spilled the initial effort had to scramble to deny Lund on the follow-up as Albion got closer to that elusive opening goal. The big Pole kept his side on level terms a minute later when Sordell threaded a ball through for Dyer and it was the outstretched leg of the Town keeper that came to the rescue this time.

Whilst playing with the wind at their backs was helping Albion to keep Ipswich in their own half, where they wanted them, it was also hindering them in getting real quality into the box from crosses as many were overhit.

Lund went closest yet for Albion on 44 minutes when Murphy picked out the midfielder in an advanced position and the summer signing from Rochdale quickly sent a volleyed effort across goal and just wide of the post. Bialkowski would have been struggling to get there had it been on target.

The game opened out just as half time approached and it was McGoldrick going closest for Town with a shot into the side netting before Sordell looking offside was allowed to run on and fire just wide at the other end, seconds before referee Simon Hooper brought the first half to a close.

Albion would have gone in a little disappointed that they could not have a goal to show for their forst half dominance.

Half time: Burton Albion 0-0 Ipswich Town

Ipswich, with the conditions now more in their favour, started brightly after the break and a swift counter down the left almost cut Burton open with skipper Jake Buxton having to make a superbly timed interception to deny McGoldrick again as he shaped to shoot.

Albion had the bit between their teeth and only an outstanding save from Bialkowski denied Murphy his first of the season on 55 minutes, the keeper flying to his left to push away a raking 25 yarder. Albion frustration was short lived however as TURNER rose high at the back post to loop a header perfectly over the outstretched hand of the keeper and under the crossbar.

Ipswich sent on Kevin Bru in place of Tristan Nydam and at the same time Albion also made a switch with Allen, who had been struggling since the first half, replaced by Matty Palmer.

Albion's lead lasted just nine minutes as Ipswich battled their way back to parity. The build up was somewhat scruffy as Albion tried to clear their lines from a deep cross into the box but when the ball broke to WAGHORN on the edge of the area his low raking shot flew unerringly into the corner of the net.

Waghorn then almost conjured up a second but having battled hard near to the touch line and raced into the box his low cross shot was deflected and found neither the net not the run of Freddie Sears racing in at the back post.

McGoldrick curled a teasing right foot shot wide from 20 yards with Ripley diving to his left to see it wide but Ipswich, with the equaliser and subsequent confidence were looking more likely to grab the next goal.

Both sides traded substitutions looking for a winner with Albion sending on former Town striker Luke Varney. But it was Manchester City loanee Celina that had the final say with a stunning free kick that wrestled the point from Albion's grasp.



Advertisement block