Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


10 April 2018

A brace of goals from Polish winger Kamil Grosicki along with Harry Wilson's early strike, David Meyler's second half penalty and a late Will Keane strike condemned Albion to their heaviest defeat of the season on home soil in the last midweek fixture of the season at the Pirelli Stadium.

The visitors got off to a flyer with Wilson firing home avfter just five minutes with a superb finish from Grosicki doubling Hull's advantage just after the half hour mark. Wilson's trickery earned him a penalty in the second half, put away by Meyler before Grosicki rounded ran through to bag his second and Keane finishing from close range in stoppage time.

Injury and illness forced manager Nigel Clough into two changes for the visit of the Tigers. With Kyle McFadzean missing through illness there was a return to the side for Jake Buxton who resumed captain's duties as well. With Damien McCrory also missing after coming off at St Andrew's before half time there was a return to the starting eleven for Lucas Akins who had replaced the Irish defender at the weekend. Hull named former Albion midfielder Jackson Irvine in their starting line-up while another ex-Brewer, Kevin Stewart was on the bench for Nigel Adkins' side.

Hull were quickly out of the blocks and Fraizer Campbell had an early opportunity for the visitors heading a corner wide of the target. It did not take long for the visitors to show their growing confidence when Liverpool loanee WILSON cut inside from the right to fire a low left foot shot across Bywater and into the far corner. A disastrous start for Albion.

The visitors were full of running and Buxton twice had to slide in on the greasy surface to halt the runs of Kamil Grosicki and Campbell as they threatened to burst through and inflict more damage.

Albion began to grow into the game as they chased an equaliser and Liam Boyce could only watch as his effort from a Lloyd Dyer cross hit a defender on its way towards the goal from twelve yards out with a corner the only reward for his effort.

All eyes were on referee Peter Bankes on 27 minutes as Boyce worked a chance for himself with a sharp turn inside the six yard box and it looked as though the challenge of Hull keeper Allan McGregor had sent him tumbling for a penalty. The man in the middle however remained unimpressed as Boyce remained grounded and in need of attention before being able to continue.

Hull showed a moment of class to make it two on 33 minutes and give themselves breathing space. An inch perfect diagonal ball from skipper Michael Dawson picked out Polish winger Kamil Grosicki on the edge of the box and after taking a touch to control he volleyed the ball right into the far corner out of the reach of Bywater. Another hammer blow for the Brewers.

It almost got worse for the Brewers as Chelsea loanee Fikayo Tomori burst forwards on the right to send in a low cross that Akins, sliding in, almost turned into his own net before completing a clearance to keep it at just 2-0.

Albion's injury woes continubed five minutes before the break as Dyer pulled up and immediately signalled the need to come off with Martin Samuelsen stepping off the bench to provide the attacking outlet on the left.

Buxton again came to the rescue on 41 minutes as Grosicki threatened to add a third from a more central position but the Albion skipper robustly denied him on the edge of the area.

Haldf time: Burton Albion 0-2 Hull City

As if Albion's task wasnt hard enough they were forced into two defensive changes at the start of the second half. Both John Brayford and Tom Naylor seemed to be struggling as the first half wore on and Ben Turner and Tom Flanagan were pressed into action.

Boyce quickly had a chance to pull one back for the Brewers but his shot on the turn was straight into the midriff of McGregor who saved comfortably.

Markus Henriksen earned himself a yellow card for crudely bringing Bent down as he burst through on goal but it was Hull going close again on the hour mark as a fortuitous rebound fell nicely for Grosicki who used his pace to burst through only to crash his shot against the base of the post.

It was only a brief respite for Albion who found themselves three down on 63 minutes. Wilson's quick feet looked to open up a shooting opportunity and as he moved the ball across the edge of the area Turner's challenge sent him sprawling and this time referee Bankes pointed to the spot. MEYLER stepped up to bury the spot kick sending Bywater the wrong way.

Albion refused to give up to their credit and Bent's snap shot flew wide on 74 minutes as they continued to look for at least a consolation goal.

However it was Grosicki who had the final say with a pacy run away from the tiring Brewers defence to round Bywater and slot home into the empty net.

Substitute Will Keane rounded off the scoring from close range in stoppage time, steering home Fikayo Tomori's low cross.

Advertisement block