Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


28 August 2018

Match Reports


28 August 2018

Late drama at the Pirelli as substitute Harry Campbell saved an 89th minute penalty to help the Brewers through to the third round of the Carabao Cup after Liam Boyce's 52nd minute strike had given the Brewers a precious advantage over Aston Villa.

Campbell stepped up after Kyle McFadzean had been red carded for handball on the line but the fearless young stopper dropped low to his left to keep out Albert Adomah's weak spot kick.

It would have been harsh on Albion had they not held on after Boyce's clinical finish as Villa lacked penetration after naming a side showing no fewer than nine changes to their weekend line-up.

Nigel Clough rested skipper Jake Buxton to the bench with the skipper carrying a knock, giving youngster Reece Hutchinson a full debut after an impressive pre-season and Stephen Quinn was handed a full debut as Marvin Sordell also found himself amongst the substitutes. Villa, after their victory against Yeovil in round one with a much changes side did the same again as Steve Bruce opted to look at some of his fringe players and emerging youngsters.

After a bright opening from the Brewers they suffered a blow just ten minutes in when John Brayford, captain on the night, limped off with a tight hamstring to be replaced by Sordell. A reshuffle forced Lucas Akins into the right back slot with Sordell taking up his customary wide position on the right.

Both sides were probing for openings and Villa's first real threat came on 19 minutes with a wickedly teasing ball into the middle aimed for Albert Adomah. Stephen Bywater came to punch clear and got good distance with his clearance but Adomah's challenge left him needing some attention to his shoulder from Nick Fenton before play could restart.

It was building into something of a midfield battle and Conor Hourihane earned the first yellow card of the evening when he slid in to take out Templeton on the half way. Bywater, clearly still feeling the effects of his earlier knock finally succumbed to the problem and made way just after the half hour mark for Harry Campbell to make his Brewers debut.

Albion continued to look lively and Templeton tested out keeper Andre Moreira from a corner with the Portugese looking less that assured at his near post under pressure from Sordell referee Darren Bond giving him the benefit of the doubt and a free kick after it looked like he had shoveled it behind for another corner.

Villa were keen to test our Albion's new keeper but loanee Axel Tuanzebe pulled his 22 yard effort wide when space opened up after a run across the edge of the area. Henri Lansbury was also wastefully off target lashing an effort high wide and not overly handsome as Campbell remained untroubled up to half time.

Half time: Burton Albion 0-0 Aston Villa

Albion made their third and final change at the start of the second half. Quinn, who had looked calm and composed in the opening half made way for Marcus Harness. The former youth teamer was quickly getting forward and unleashing a rising drive within two minutes of the restart.

The Brewers continued to look bright and the breakthrough that they deserved came seven minutes in. Fraser looked up and played Boyce through. The striker was in acres of space and ran purposefully into the box before driving a shot in that took a slight deflection as it flew past Moreira.

It was Albion still pressing and looking lively in attack with Harness and Sordell getting into some promising positions and stretching the Villa defence without finding a killer touch inside the box.

Villa looked dangerous on the break through young striker Rushian Hepburn-Murphy and the alarm bells were rining on 65 minutes when the forward got to the bye line and pulled the ball back towards Adomah in the middle only for Hutchinson to provide a timely interception to deny the winger a shot on goal.

Steve Bruce made his first change on 69 minutes and it was defender and skipper Tommy Elphick who made way for the slightly more attacking Ahmed Elmohamady.

Villa's experience began to tell in the final quarter of the game as they began to dominate but Boyce missed a superb chance on 82 minutes stabbing Harness' cross over the bar from close range.

Campbell had to show his agility to push a hopeful and deep ball from Anwar El Ghazi around the post signalling a spell of pressure and after Hutchinson had cleared off the line from Elmohamady there was more late drama as McFadzean saw red for handballing a fizzing shot on the line before Campbell saved Adomah's penalty to cap a memorable night for Albion in the League Cup and advance to the third round for the second season in a row.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account