Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


15 December 2018

BURTON Albion went down 1-0 to Fleetwood with a Ched Evans penalty deciding the game which was played in atrocious weather at Highbury.

The Brewers were forced to make one change from the team that beat Shrewsbury with Kyle McFadzean failing to shake off his injury and Ben Turner coming in to replace him.

David Templeton and Ben Fox were also sufficiently recovered from injury to make the bench.

It was a game played in terrible conditions with a bitingly cold wind howling around Highbury and freezing rain lashing down.

Fleetwood started the game in 13th, one place above the Brewers on goal difference with both on 27 points.

Both teams' form guide showed a struggle for consistency with Albion winning three and losing three of the last six games and Fleetwood winning two, losing three and drawing one.

Albion had the wind advantage in the first half but with the ball skidding off the surface most forward balls raced away and out.

At the other end the ball held up as Fleetwood attacked making it hard to judge for the Albion back line.

Fleetwood had the first attempt on goal with Ched Evans finding space in the box only for Ben Turner to get a vital block in and force the shot to loop over the bar.

Scott Fraser was the first Albion player to threaten with a shot from 22 yards which went over the bar.

The best chance of the half fell to Paddy Madden as Fleetwood caught Albion on the break. The ball was pulled back nicely for the Fleetwood forward but his shot was well saved By Brad Collins.

Evans wasted another good opportunity, blasting a free kick on the edge of the area into the wall after 31 minutes.

Half-time: 0-0

The Brewers made a change at the break bringing on Jake Buxton for the injured Liam Boyce. That meant Lucas Akins moving up front and Brayford going to right-back.

Fleetwood took the lead on 51 minutes from the penalty spot. The wind again played a part with Albion struggling to clear and Buxton forced into a tackle on Evans that the ref saw as a foul. Evans converted the spot kick.

The Brewers then introduced Harness for Hesketh.

After that Albion begin to create the better chances with Allen volleying the ball from the edge of the box and Cairns pulling off a great save and then Quinn curling a shot inches over the bar.

On 62 minutes a great run and cross from Harness saw the ball fall to Miller who wasted the opportunity with the goal seemingly at his mercy.

Fleetwood had the ball in the net on 66 minutes when Dean Marney tapped in a cross but he was ruled offside.

Harness then beat two men cutting in from the right flank before firing in a low shot that Cairns saved at the near post.

David Templeton came on for Scott Fraser on 79 minutes with Miller joining Akins up front. 

Full-time 1-0 

BREWERS: Collins, Brayford, Allen, Turner, Fraser, Hesketh, Akins (C), Miller, Hutchinson, Quinn, Boyce: Subs: Bywater, Buxton (for Boyce 45) , Templeton (for Fraser 79), Fox, Harness (for Hesketh 52), Wallace, Cole

FLEETWOOD: Cairns, Coyle, Holt, Eastham (C), Evans, McAlney, Madden, Hunter, Wallace, Marney, Sheron; Subs: Jones, Dempsey (for Hunter 83) , Bolger, Taylor (for Holt 90), Biggins (for  McAleny 73), Garner, Rydel

Referee: A Blackhouse

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account