Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


17 July 2018

THE Brewers second pre-season outing ended with a 2-1 win thanks to second half goals from Joe Sbarra and Luke McCormick.

Burton Albion returned to play one of their old non-league rivals (the Brewers famously played Harriers in the FA Trophy final at Wembley in 1987).

Stephen Bywater returned to the starting line-up after being unavailable for the Mickleover game on Friday. John Brayford also returned after shaking off a minor injury. Darren Bent, last season’s loanee, who is doing pre-season training with the Brewers, was on the bench and there was a also a place for Academy prospect Tom Armitage.

John Brayford had the first attempt on goal, breaking down the right to test Brandon Hall in the Harriers goal in the sixth minute.

Harriers took the lead against the run of play on 12 minutes. Ed Williams speculative shot from 30 yards found the bottom corner of Stephen Bywater's net.

Albion continued to dominate after that and came tantalisingly close to an equaliser on 20 minutes. Sordell fired across the face of the goal and Boyce slid in but couldn’t quite apply the finishing touch

Albion had plenty of the ball in the first half but the final pass was lacking and it took a rasping long range shot from Sordell after 38 minutes to truly test Hall in the Harriers goal.

Half-time: Harriers 1 Brewers 0

Albion were quick out of the blocks in the second half after making three subs – with Allen, McFadzean and Sbarra replacing Fox, Buxton and Brayford.

And it was Sbarra on the mark for the second time in pre-season racing clear of the Harriers defence and firing confidently passed Hall and into the net.

Albion dominated the start of the second period with Fraser shooting over and Sordell finding space in the box but failing to get the ball out of his feet.

After 60 minutes Bent, Lund and Harness replaced Boyce, Sordell and Akins.

After 72 minutes there were more changes Campbell, Hutchinson and McCormick on for Bywater, McCrory and Hodge

After 78 minutes Armitage made his appearance in the game replacing Fraser.

Albion kept plugging away and were rewarded finally when with two minutes to go Luke McCormick neatly finished to earn the victory.


 Full-time: 1-2


Brewers: Bywater, Brayford, McCrory, Buxton, Fox, Fraser, Egert, Hodge, Akins, Boyce, Sordell: Subs Allen (for Fox – 45), Campbell (for Bywater – 72) , Sbarra (for Brayford – 45) , McFadzean (for Buxton – 45) , Harness (for Akins - 60), Lund (for Sordell – 60) , McCormick (for Hodge – 72), Hutchinson (for McCrory – 72), Bent (for Boyce – 60), Armitage (for Fraser – 78)


Harriers: Hall, Vaughan, Higginson, Digie, Horsfall, Johnson, Weeks, Daniels, Bradley, Trialist, Williams. Subs: Ironside, Stratford, Truslove, Chambers, Baxendale, O’Connor, Palmer, Taylor, Trialist, Sweeney, Bannister

Referee: Andy Hedley

Attendance: 450 - 31 away

Advertisement block