Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


24 July 2018

THE Brewers lost an entertaining game 3-2 at the ATG Stadium against Solihull Moors.

It was a scrappy opening quarter of an hour with Solihull pushing forward with intent but no cutting edge.

Adi Yussuf had a half chance from a tight angle and Darren Carter shot wide from range but there was a sense that a goal might be coming and it did on 16 minutes.

Albion failed to deal with a cross from the right and it bounced around the area before falling invitingly for Yussuf with the former Brewer slotting home confidently.

Yussuf continued to cause problems and forced Harry Campbell into a good full length save with a crisp shot from the edge of the area after 26 minutes.

A minute later Damien McCrory had Albion’s first real attempt on goal beating his man to shoot from the angle and test Ryan Boot, the Moors keeper.

Sordell also had a shot on the turn saved as Albion began to push the home side back.

But then Carter nearly doubled the lead before the break after Solihull won a free kick on the edge of the box. His first effort hit the wall but when it bounced back to the Moors skipper he caught it on the full and hit the upright with Campbell beaten

Half-time: 1-0

Chris Beardsley and Reece Hutchinson came on for Sordell and Brayford at the break and it was Albion who were the first to threaten.

Damien McCrory’s curling free kick beat the wall and just drifted wide on 48 minutes.

Better was to come though and an exquisite equaliser from Joe Sbarra – his third in pre-season. Ben Fox played a delightful through ball but Sbarra had a lot to do, bringing it down before chipping the keeper brilliantly.

Solihull were back in front three minutes later thanks to a sweet strike from Jamey Osbourne that gave Campbell no chance.

On 63 minutes neat footwork from McCrory created a shooting chance and Boot did well to deny Albion.

Then Harness ran at the Moors defence and his low cross caused panic before being hacked away.

Danny Wright made it 3-1 after 76 minutes with a piledriver into the roof of the net from just inside the box.

Albion pulled one back with Chris Beardsley poking home a Darren Bent header from close range.

The Brewers pushed on after that but couldn’t find another goal.

Full-time: 3-2

Brewers: Campbell, Fox, Brayford, Turner, McCrory, Sordell, Allen, Sbarra, McCormick, Bent, Harness

Subs: Hutchinson (for Brayford – 45), Livesey, Armitage (for McCormick – 78), Hart (for Turner 61), Beardsley (for Sordell – 45)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account