Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


21 November 2018

BURTON ALBION were held to a 1-1 draw against Derby County U23s in a friendly match held at St George’s Park this afternoon.

First-team players Scott Fraser, Jake Buxton, Stephen Bywater and Jake Hesketh all featured alongside Burton Albion Academy under-18 players. 

Derby County took the lead in the opening minutes, with Cameron Cresswell firing a low shot past Stephen Bywater that nestled in the far side-netting.

The Brewers immediately looked to equalise with Elliot Hodge coming close on 16 minutes, shooting just wide of the post from outside the box. 

A spell of intensity followed on 32 minutes, when Hodge found Will Miller in the right-hand side of the box, who cut inside, beat the defender but found his shot blocked.  

A minute later, Miller played in Joe Sbarra, whose cross back across the box was intercepted before it reached Hodge. The resulting corner was deflected away from Ben Hart who was waiting at the far post.

Shortly before half-time, Scott Fraser was replaced by Jamie Allen.

Half-time: Burton Albion 0 - 1 Derby County U23s

The second half began with Ciaran Gilligan replacing Jake Hesketh. 

Shortly after the restart, Will Miller was denied by a brilliant save from Derby County’s stopper, shooting from eight yards out. The rebound fell to Elliot Hodge, who fired over from a similar distance from goal.

On 68 minutes, Will Miller was replaced by Kyle Clamp as the Brewers continued to look for an equaliser, whilst five minutes later Harry Campbell replaced Stephen Bywater.

The Brewers finally found a reply to Derby County’s early goal on 78 minutes. A brilliant ball from Jake Buxton, deep in the Burton Albion half, found Marcus Harness on the right-hand side near the half way line. A good first touch brought the ball down and Harness broke away from the Rams’ defenders and powered a shot into the near-side of the goal.

There was almost a winner in the 82nd minute from the Brewers, when Harness played the ball into Gilligan, but the ball was smothered by the Derby County goalkeeper and the match finished 1-1.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account