Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


19 October 2018

A second-half strike from Coventry winger Jack Burroughs saw the young Brewers knocked out of the FA Youth Cup despite a valiant effort at the Pirelli stadium.

Striker Kyle Clamp equalised just after the break with a well placed effort cancelling out Sam McCalum’s opener.

Despite being a tier lower than Coventry, the young Brewers battled bravely throughout, and will feel unlucky to have come away with a defeat.

The Sky Blues went ahead inside ten minutes as Sam McCallum was quickest to react after the young Brewers failed to deal with a Coventry set-piece.

The early pressure from the away side continued as Regan Ganley blocked expertly after Jonathan Ngandu had done well to weave his way into a shooting opportunity.

The young Burton side then managed to have a series of good chances for themselves.  Firstly, Ben Hart and Kyle Clamp combined brilliantly on the edge of the box, with the former forcing a terrific save from Coventry keeper Tom Bilson.

James Melhado then saw his effort somehow flicked away by the Sky Blues keeper who was proving to be a tough nut to crack. The intensity had been stepped up and the young Brewers were taking pride in playing at the home of Burton Albion.

Just minutes before half-time Clamp went through and blazed over after his pressure had forced centre-back Josh Endall into an error.

However, just minutes after half-time, Clamp atoned for his miss as the striker finished low into the corner after a strong surge into the box.


Coventry continued to look dangerous down both flanks throughout the second-half with wingers Jack Burroughs and Ngandu continuously causing problems for the Brewers backline.

With just 25 minutes left, the both of them then linked-up brilliantly with Ngandu’s threaded through ball finding the feet of Burroughs who slid his shot expertly under the body of Oliver Fairbrother.

Trying to find a route back into the game, the ever lively Hart forced Billson into another good save with the young Brewers eyeing up a late equaliser.

With five minutes added on a flurry of corners couldn’t force the equalising goal. Ganley’s header the closest the young Brewers could get, but his header sailed over the crossbar.

Advertisement block