Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


14 December 2019

Match Reports


14 December 2019

ALBION found themselves on the wrong end of a 2-0 scoreline at League One leaders Wycombe Wanderers as goals from David Wheeler and Matt Bloomfield sent the Brewers to defeat at Adams Park.

The scoreline was a scant reflection of a game where Albion bossed long periods of possession and Kieran O'Hara was barely troubled with the Manchester United loanee powerless to stop either of the two goals to go past him.

Wycombe struck after a period of Burton pressure with the home side keeping the ball alive after a corner and getting centre back Anthony Stewart in on the left to drive in a low cross that Wheeler was able to tuck home inside the six yard box.

Despite Albion controlling the midfield for long periods Wycombe soaked up everything that the Brewers could throw at them and struck right at the end with a second as Bloomfield fired home with interest after Richard Nartey had done well to clear a low cross.

It showed the clinical nature of the Chairboys who barely created anything of note but took the two decent chances they created whilst a sixth straight clean sheet emphasised their gritty nature.

A free midweek allowed some of Albion's injured players a chance to resume their seasons and all three, John Brayford, Reece Hutchinson and Oliver Sarkic made it back to the bench to bolster the squad ahead of the trip to the League leaders. The starting team showed two changes to the line-up that battled without reward against Lincoln. Nathan Broadhead dropped out having aggravated his hamstring problem last time out with David Templeton replacing him whilst Joe Sbarra came in for the suspended Ryan Edwards.

Wycombe made a brisk start with Curtis Thompson seeing an angled drive blocked by Colin Daniel's block and Anthony Stewart heading over from one of the resultant corners that Wanderers managed to win.

A driving run down the right by Lucas Akins got the Brewers onto the front foot and after some intricate play in midfield involving Daniel and Liam Boyce the ball sat up invitingly for Templeton who swivelled to volley over the bar.

Albion continued to look bright, particularly when they could work the ball out to Daniel raiding forwards on the left. One cross from the wide man was blocked by Sido Jombati with shouts for handball as the defender awkwardly cleared and when Daniel got in space again midway through the half his pull back was just missed by the onrushing Sbarra into the box.

But against the run of play it was the hosts that struck to devastating effect. Anthony Stewart stayed forwards from a set piece and was allowed to drive a low cross into the box that was straightforward for WHEELER to guide past Kieran O'Hara.

Templeton was looking a likely goal threat for Albion but one effort, slightly scuffed almost caught Ryan Allsop in the Wycombe goal napping as he belatedly dived to his right to smother the chance and the keeper had nervous glances to his right as another Templeton effort crept past the fat post.

A good pass from Boyce freed Daniel down the left again on 42 minutes but his near post cross was volleyed over the angle of post and bar by Fraser.

Referee Neil Hair produced a pair of yellow cards for Wycombe midfielder Curtis Thompson and Albion's Stephen Quinn after a bout of handbags after a foul on the Brewers playmaker with the consequence being a one match ban for Quinn for accumulating five yellow cards.

But as the half came tom an end it was Albion knocking firmly on the door of the Wanderers defence with a couple of dangerous set pieces and a blocked effort for Sbarra before the official brought the opening half to a close with the home side on the ropes.

Half time: Wycombe Wanderers 1-0 Burton Albion

Albion started brightly after the restart and when Templeton spun smartly on the left he ran space to run into and found a neat pull back for Fraser whose effort was blocked at close range. Quinn then drilled a 20-yarder just wide under pressure as the ball ran loose and sat up begging to be lashed home.

Wycombe sent on attackers Adebayo Akinfenwa and Scott Kashket just after the hour mark but it was still Albion dominating possession and pushing forwards.

Daniel, having been pushed slightly further forwards in the second half, made a well timed run into the box to meet a Templeton cross but could only guide his header just over the bar.

The introduction of Brayford with twenty minutes to play, in place of Templeton, allowed Akins to get further up the pitch and give Boyce some more support.

Daniel, after a lively performance on the left hand side made way for Hutchinson with a quarter of an hour left.

Thompson was perhaps fortunate not to pick up a second yellow card after a high boot in a challenge on Quinn earned him nothing more than a lecture from the referee.

Albion pushed and pushed but were finiding it hard to break through the resilient Chairboys defence. Sbarra got himself on the end of one cross but could only loop a header onto the roof of the net.

Nigel Clough's last throw of the dice was to replace Sbarra with Sarkic sent on to try and create something that would salvage something from the game.

it was all up for Albion in the final minute of normal time as Wycombe sealed a victory that put a harsh look on the scoreline from a Burton perspective. An angled ball out to the right resulted in a low cross that Nartey did well to cut out but the loose ball fell for Wanderers skipper BLOOMFIELD to fire it home with interest to keep his side top of the league.








Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account