Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


27 July 2019

WITH a week to go to the start of the League One season the Brewers recorded a 5-2 victory away at National League side Chesterfield.

Kieran O'Hara returned in goal for the Brewers after recovering from his thigh injury and John Brayford, Jake Buxton and Colin Daniel were back in the team after being rested as a precautionary measure at Solihull.

Leeds forward Oliver Sarkic was included in the starting line-up with Phil Brown, another triallist, on the bench.

New signing Ryan Edwards made his Brewers debut.

Former Brewer Robbie Weir was in the Chesterfield starting line-up.

Albion were behind inside two minutes when Anthony Spyrou outpaced the Brewers defence to flash a low shoot into the bottom corner of O'Hara's net.

Liam Boyce had a good chance for the Brewers latching onto a loose ball in the box but his shot was blocked just as it looked like he would score.

Edwards got free down the right after nine minutes and pulled back a perfect ball for Scott Fraser who connected well with the shot only to see Shwan Jalal pull off a fine save.

Albion were level on 12 minutes. A brilliant through ball from John Brayford sent Fraser clear. He rounded Jalal calmly and slotted home.

Spyrou hit the post with a crisp drive after 14 minutes and Boden's shot from the rebound curled inches wide as the game flowed quickly from end to end.

Two minutes later Edwards again pulled the ball back sweetly for Boyce whose shot was deflected wide.

It looked like Sarkic had out Albion ahead on 26 minutes as he swept the ball home after a slick Albion move that saw Fraser put the striker through but he was denied by an offside flag.

Boyce made it 2-1 after 29 minutes notching his second of pre-season by rising to head home an Edwards corner.

The Northern Ireland international grabbed the Brewers third a minute later, side footing the ball home after a decisive Albion move with Daniel playing the final ball to Boyce.

Albion were by now well on top and Edwards got his debut Brewers goal forcing the ball under Jalal after being put in on goal by Stephen Quinn.

Half-time: 1-4

on 47 minutes Daniel chipped a near post ball to Boyce whose flick header was saved by Luke Coddington, who had replaced Jalal in the Chesterfield goal.

Sbarra and Akins came on after 58 minutes for Sarkic and Fraser.

Joe Rowley robbed Kieran Wallace on the half-way line and ran purposefully at the Albion goal only to blast over at the death.

Will Evans rose highest at the far post on 60 minutes to head home a corner and make it 4-2.

Boosted by the goal the home side pushed forward and Spyrou hit the post with a sharp drive that had O'Hara beaten.

Buxton was booked for a foul as the Brewers endured a spell of Chesterfield pressure.

Laurence Maguire forced a good save from O'Hara on 75 minutes as the home side continued to look dangerous.

Reece Hutchinson replaced Stephen Quinn on 77 minutes.

On 80 minutes Jevan Anderson and Phillip Brown came on for Kieran Wallace and Jake Buxton.

Akins put the icing on the cake for Albion in injury time rounding the keeper to slot home after being put clear by Boyce.

Final score: 2-5

Burton Albion: O'Hara, Brayford, Daniel, Edwards, Buxton, Wallace, Quinn, Fraser, O'Toole, Sarkic, Boyce. Subs: Akins, Sbarra, Hutchinson, Anderson, Hawkins, Brown

Att 1,092 - 145 away

Advertisement block