Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


4 November 2019

BURTON Albion's Young Brewers advanced to the Second Round of the FA Youth Cup after taking a fine 2-1 win over Chesterfield at the Proact Stadium.

Tom Hewlett's instant reply to Matthew Fuertado's opener put Albion level pegging before a Yewo Nyirenda strike just shy of half-time proved enough to send Albion through, where a home tie against Bolton Wanderers awaits.

A positive start almost paid early dividends as the first chance of the game fell the Brewers' way with barely a minute on the clock - a well-worked free kick routine saw a delivery into the box that Rueben Lal got onto the end of, but his header looped straight to Spireites keeper Dylan Wharton.

And five minutes weren't yet on the clock when Hewlett took down a neat ball into the box from Said Idouarab, turned on a sixpence and fired a powerful left-footed effort narrowly wide of the far post.

A bursting run through the middle from Holmes in the 13th minute ended with the tricky winger playing a neat ball through to Nyirenda, who was denied by a brave stop from Wharton at the striker's feet.

Chesterfield responded seconds later with their first effort on goal almost finding the back of the net - Brandon Bradbury's rasper from 30 yards narrowly wide of Teddy Sharman-Lowe's right-hand post.

And the hosts opened the scoring moments later, FUERTADO the man on the scoresheet as his low effort deflected cruelly off Lal and in past Wharton.

But less than a minute later, the Young Brewers responded - HEWLETT took another neat ball in his stride in the box and, having shrugged off his marker, drove a powerful left-footed drive to the bottom-left corner, making no mistake.

Albion had a glorious chance in the 25th minute to go ahead but a fine save from Wharton denied Nyirenda, with the keeper having just similarly denied Hewlett, getting in behind the backline again, and the ball falling to Albion's number 10 just outside the box.

As time wore on at the end of the first half, Holmes saw a deflected effort spin narrowly wide of the far post before, from the resulting corner, Cael McDonnell and Ben McLean both went for the header with the ball finding the roof of the net.

And with three minutes until the break, Albion made their pressure tell as NYIRENDA took down a neat centre after a bursting forward run from Emmanuel Shittu, turning well and firing left-footed powerfully past Wharton.


The Brewers started the second half as they ended the first, putting the Spireites goal under pressure - and a sublimely-worked free kick almost made it 3-1 as Tyo Carter passed the ball past the wall and to Holmes, but Wharton was alert and again made a smart save at the winger's feet.

Samuel Geeves saw a close-range effort deflected over the crossbar for the hosts just past the hour and from there they started increasing the pressure.

Callum Brooks blazed over from close range after a corner and substitute Joshua Turner came close to equalising after the ball broke for him in the box, but a last-ditch challenge took the sting out of his shot and Sharman-Lowe was able to collect.

A late chance for substitute Owen Hickson flashed wide of the near post and Albion held on to secure their passage to Round Two.

YOUNG BREWERS: Sharman-Lowe, Idouarab, Armitage, Carter, Lal, McDonnell, Shittu (Hickson 84), McLean, Hewlett (C), Nyirenda, Holmes. Subs not used: Smith (GK), Redfern, Richardson, Radcliffe.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account